President greets nation on Durga PujaNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:26 am ICT by admin
“The Durga Puja celebration symbolises the triumph of good over evil. Let this occasion inspire us to dedicate ourselves to all causes that are good and noble and work for the betterment of humanity at large,” the President added.
Durga Puja is the most important festival of Bengalis.
Prayers, religious processions and musical programmes mark the festival, which symbolises the triumph of good over evil.
Worshipping the Goddess Durga is the main feature of this festival, which culminates in the Dussehra celebrations.
The idols of Goddess Durga are immersed in the sea, rivers or lakes on the last day. Devotees believe that the Goddess makes her annual visit to the world during this time and the festivities are meant to welcome her.
Durga, worshipped as the Goddess of power, is depicted as riding a raging lion, holding aloft ten weapons of war in her ten hands in these programmes. Her trident is depicted plunging into the side of a monstrous buffalo, out of whose body emerges a demon symbolising evil. (ANI)
- President, PM greet nation on Dussehra, Durga Puja - Oct 05, 2011
- Maha Ashtami celebrated in Kolkata - Sep 26, 2009
- Dussehra being celebrated throughout India - Oct 17, 2010
- West Bengal artists make traditional ornaments for Goddess Durga - Sep 24, 2009
- Bollywood actors celebrate Durga puja - Sep 27, 2009
- President Patil greets people on Durga Puja - Oct 14, 2010
- Durga Puja, Navratri festivities conclude - it's Dussehra! - Oct 06, 2011
- Durga Puja begins in Kolkata - Sep 24, 2009
- Durga Puja reaches its peak with Mahashtami - Oct 15, 2010
- Mahasaptami Puja begins amid drum beats - Oct 14, 2010
- Durga Puja celebrations begin in West Bengal - Oct 13, 2010
- CRPF personnel perform Shastra Puja on Vijaydashmi in Srinagar - Oct 17, 2010
- President greets nation on Dussehra - Oct 16, 2010
- Dussehra greetings to all Indians from President Pratibha Patil - Oct 16, 2010
- President, PM greet nation on Diwali - Nov 04, 2010
Tags: auspicious occasion, betterment, celebrations, devotees, durga puja, festivities, goddess durga, good over evil, greets, patil, president, prosperity, religious processions, ten hands, trident, triumph, weapons of war, worshipped, worshipping