President greets nation on DiwaliNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:15 am ICT by admin
“Diwali, the festival of lights is a time for celebration when family and friends come together. Let this festival of lights inspire us to help those as yet untouched by the light of education, heath and prosperity. May this Diwali bring happiness and joy to everyone,” the President added.
The day commemorates the homecoming of Lord Ram after a 14-year exile in forest. The people of Ayodhya welcomed him back by lighting up rows of lamps.
The festival, which signifies the uplighting of darkness and victory of good over the evil, comes exactly twenty days after Dussehra.
There are several beliefs regarding the origin of festival. Hindus celebrate Diwali to mark the time when Lord Ram achieved victory over Ravana. Some also view it as the day Krishna defeated the demon Narakasura or in honour of the day Bali went to rule the nether-world, obeying the order of Vishnu.
In Jainism, it marks the nirvana of Lord Mahavira, which occurred on October 15, 527 B.C. (ANI)
- President, Vice President and PM greet nation on Diwali (lead: Happy Diwali) - Nov 14, 2007
- Diwali being celebrated with traditional fervour and zeal across India - Nov 05, 2010
- Vice President greets nation ahead of Diwali - Nov 04, 2010
- Animals in Lucknow zoo celebrate Diwali - Nov 14, 2007
- Tamil Nadu celebrates Diwali today - Nov 14, 2007
- Dussehra being celebrated throughout India - Oct 17, 2010
- India celebrates Diwali with prayers, lights, crackers (Roundup) - Oct 26, 2011
- Festive spirit grips Delhi on Diwali (Lead) - Oct 26, 2011
- Durga Puja, Navratri festivities conclude - it's Dussehra! - Oct 06, 2011
- President Obama greets people on Diwali - Nov 05, 2010
- President greets nation on Onam - Aug 28, 2012
- Obama extends Diwali greetings, looking forward to India visit - Nov 04, 2010
- Where Diwali is dark and celebrated a month later! - Oct 27, 2011
- Ravana in high demand on Dussehra for different reasons - Oct 17, 2010
- Vice President Ansari greets nation on Diwali - Oct 27, 2008
Tags: ayodhya, diwali, greets, hindus, homecoming, jainism, joyous occasion, krishna, lord mahavira, lord ram, nether world, nirvana, president, ravana, twenty days, untouched, uplighting, victory, vishnu, warm greetings