President distributes literacy awardsSeptember 8th, 2008 - 8:28 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept 8 (ANI): President Pratibha Devisingh Patil today distributed Satyen Maitra Literacy Award on the occasion of International Literacy Day at Vigyan Bahwan.
The award is given to selected districts implementing Total Literacy Campaign (TLC), Post Literacy Programme (PLP) and Continuing Education Programme (CEP).
The TLC award was given to Bishnupur (Manipur); PLP to Garwha (Jharkhand); CEP to Jhansi (Uttat Pradesh), Sarguja (Chattisgarh), Udayapur (Rajasthan), Medak (Andhra Pradesh) and Begusarai (Bihar)
The Satyen Maitra Memorial Literacy Award was instituted in 1996 in the memory of Satyen Maitra, eminent educationist, great adult educationist and a social reformer who had a long association with Bengal Social Service League, a Kolkata based NGO with enviable reputation.
The award aims at encouraging the campaign districts to perform excellent results and to instill a healthy competition among them.
It also aims to recognize selfless service rendered by volunteer teachers and other literacy functionaries. Since its inception 39 districts have been selected to receive the award. (ANI)
- Prioritise literacy to build tolerant society: President - Sep 08, 2008
- Prisoners to teach other inmates in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 17, 2010
- PM's tribute to Malaviya on 150th birth anniversary (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- ISB signs MoU to provide executive education in Middle East - May 17, 2012
- PM's tribute to Malaviya on 150th birth anniversary celebrations - Dec 27, 2011
- PM's wife to launch women's health campaign - Mar 07, 2011
- Alka Yagnik, Javed Akhtar unveil literacy anthem - Sep 04, 2012
- 'Legally literate' Chandigarh students to help needy - May 25, 2011
- Mizoram launches special literacy campaign - Dec 04, 2010
- Educate the illiterate and get enrolled in computer course - Nov 14, 2009
- Educationist Sunanda Sanyal resigns from Mamata's panels - Nov 23, 2011
- Wipro to train school teachers in US - Aug 29, 2012
- Kerala plans 140 specialized computer schools - Aug 01, 2010
- Andhra to name district after Indira Gandhi - Nov 18, 2010
- Telangana town tense as YSR Congress, TRS workers clash - Jul 23, 2012