President condoles passing away of Ramakrishna Mission PresidentNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:33 am ICT by admin
Swami Gahanananda, 91 died on Sunday after a prolonged illness.
He was elected as the 14th President of the Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission in May 2005.
Born in Paharpur village in Sylhet (now in Bangladesh) in October 1916, Swami Gahanananda joined the monastic order in Bhubaneswar in January 1939.
He became the general secretary of the Math and Mission in 1989 and continued in that capacity till 1992 after which he became the vice-president of the Order.
Swami Vivekananda had founded the Ramakrishna Mission Association in 1897. The body received a legal status and was registered as ‘Ramakrishna Mission’ in 1909. (ANI)
- Pranab visits Belur Math - Jun 24, 2012
- Ramakrishna Mission vice president dead - Oct 20, 2011
- Vivekananda movement grows in Nepal on 148th anniversary - Jan 11, 2011
- Ramakrishna Mission president's condition stable - Feb 16, 2011
- Rs.100 crore Vivekananda education project approved - Sep 03, 2010
- Ramakrishna Paramahansa's 175th birth anniversary celebrated - Mar 06, 2011
- India on World Heritage Committee for 4 years - Nov 11, 2011
- PM assures full co-operation to Ramakrishna Mission - Jan 12, 2011
- PM to launch Swami Vivekananda's 150th birth anniversary celebrations - Jan 12, 2011
- Swami Vivekananda's life in 3D animation - Aug 05, 2011
- Swami Vivekananda was fond of dal, American ice-cream: New biography - Apr 04, 2011
- President of Ramkrishna Mission stable - Jul 18, 2010
- Ramakrishna Mission chief's condition stable - Jul 20, 2010
- Ramakrishna Mission chief hospitalised - Jul 17, 2010
- Mamata lays foundation stone of Kolkata Metro extension - Jan 02, 2010