President approves ordinance to dissolve MCIMay 15th, 2010 - 8:13 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 15 (ANI): President Pratibha Patil on Saturday signed an ordinance dissolving the Medical Council of India (MCI).
On Friday, Union Health and Family Welfare Ministry had issued an ordinance selecting dissolution of the MCI.
The MCI was set up by an Act of Parliament in 1956.
For the time being, the MCI will be replaced by a seven-member committee of medical experts.
The Centre decided to dissolve the MCI after its president Ketan Desai was arrested April 22 by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs two crore in exchange for giving recognition to a medical college in Punjab.
Desai submitted his resignation on Wednesday.
Union Health Secretary Sujatha Rao had said: “We are examining what can be done. The government should have power to give directions to the MCI for what it has to do. If they do something wrong, we can take action.”
Expressing its grave concern over corruption in medical bodies, the health ministry top brass made its mind to clean-up councils under its jurisdiction.
They also assured that they would not tolerate interests of students being affected.
The MCI was a statutory body that had been tasked with the responsibility of overseeing maintenance of to oversee the standards of medical education in India, grant recognition to medical degrees, give accreditation to medical colleges, registers medical practitioners and monitoring medical practice in the country. (ANI)
- MCI dissolved, seven-member committee set up (Second Lead) - May 16, 2010
- Ordinance dissolving MCI gets president's assent (Lead) - May 15, 2010
- MCI likely to be dissolved, replaced by seven-member board (Lead) - May 14, 2010
- Democratic norms violated in dissolving MCI: CPI-M - May 19, 2010
- MCI president, arrested for graft, resigns - May 13, 2010
- 'Medical education needs separate governing body' - May 17, 2010
- Medical Council president quits (Lead) - May 13, 2010
- Centre to dissolve Medical Council of India - May 14, 2010
- President signs ordinance dissolving MCI - May 15, 2010
- Seven member board to replace MCI - May 14, 2010
- Government to have a say in medical council - May 11, 2010
- Medical Council of India bill passed in Lok Sabha - Aug 20, 2010
- PM backs health ministry on keeping medical education - May 24, 2010
- Umbrella body to oversee medical education in India: Azad (Lead) - May 04, 2010
- New medical panel to be fully autonomous, says Azad - May 25, 2010
Tags: act of parliament, central bureau of investigation, crore, education in india, family welfare, grave concern, health ministry, health secretary, ketan desai, medical bodies, medical colleges, medical council of india, medical council of india mci, medical degrees, medical experts, medical practitioners, member committee, statutory body, sujatha, welfare ministry