Preparations begin in riot-hit Kandhamal for general electionsApril 15th, 2009 - 1:43 pm ICT by ANI
Kandhamal (Orissa), Apr 15 (ANI): Preparations are in full swing to hold general elections tomorrow in Orissa’s Kandhamal District.
The camp for the distribution of Electronic Voting Machines (EVM) saw the presiding officials turn out in large numbers to collect them.
The region, which was rocked by communal violence in 2008, is a sensitive area and has been put under high security to keep a check on any untoward incident during the polls.
“We are sending all presiding officers to their respective polling stations with vehicles. The Superintendent of Police and the DM are making arrangements for security. Special arrangements have been made for those living in relief camps,” said Pradeep Mahapatra, sub collector, Kandhamal.
The run-up to the elections has been witnessing numerous cases of attacks by Maoists and other instances of clashes and killings. And the authorities are leaving no stones unturned to ensure smooth functioning during the polls.
Kandhamal had witnessed the killing of 38 Christians and the burning of several houses and churches during communal violence last year following the murder of VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati.
More than 25,000 Christians were forced to flee their homes after their houses were attacked. Thousands of people are still living in government relief camps. (ANI)
- Christmas celebrations pass off peacefully in Orissa - Dec 25, 2010
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- Explosives found, blast averted in Kandhamal - Oct 19, 2011
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010
- Kandhamal riots case: Man gets three-year jail term - Sep 29, 2010
- Two get six-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Jun 30, 2010
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010
- Rights panel concerned over farmers' suicides in Orissa (Lead) - Jan 19, 2011
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Security tightened in Orissa for peaceful Christmas - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: christians, clashes, communal violence, electronic voting machines, full swing, general elections, government relief, high security, instances, killings, large numbers, maoists, orissa, polling stations, relief camps, riot, sensitive area, several houses, superintendent, untoward incident