Preparation in full swing for Commonwealth GamesJune 13th, 2008 - 6:54 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 13 (ANI): Preparations are in full swing in India for the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
The Government sanctioned Rs 6.78 billion for training the athletes under the scheme ‘Preparation of Indian Team for Commonwealth Games, 2010′.
Delhi had bagged the contract after beating the Canadian city Hamilton in the bid for the games.
India managed to win 22 gold medals to finish fourth in the 2006 Commonwealth Games, the last edition of the games, sixteen of them coming from shooting.
The games will be staged in India for the first time and in Asia for only the second time. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, held them in 1998.
In Delhi Commonwealth Games hockey, netball and rugby will feature again.
The 2010 Commonwealth Games will be India’s first big international sports event since the 1982 Asian Games. New Delhi hosted the inaugural Asian Games in 1951 and again in 1982. (ANI)
- 53 Commonwealth nations, but 71 teams at Delhi Games - Sep 02, 2010
- Australia's Gold Coast to host 2018 Commonwealth Games - Nov 12, 2011
- Hundreds join 'Run' to champion the cause of Commonwealth Games - Oct 11, 2009
- 36 Indian shooters will be targetting 120 CWG medals - Aug 25, 2010
- Brumby calls on Kalmadi, reviews preparations for C'wealth 2010 games - Sep 26, 2009
- Commonwealth Games work progress reviewed - Aug 19, 2009
- Gill takes stock of Commonwealth Games preparations - Oct 26, 2009
- CWG schedule: Day ten - Oct 13, 2010
- 13 Olympics events will be played at Commonwealth Games - Aug 28, 2010
- Gill asks Indian hockey team to give its best - Sep 29, 2010
- Commonwealth Games delegation satisfied with sports area presentation - Oct 11, 2009
- Commonwealth Games chief satisfied with government assurance - Oct 12, 2009
- CWG Day 9: 21 gold medals at stake, all eyes on Narang, men's hockey team - Oct 12, 2010
- Commonwealth games committee to seek more funds - Oct 12, 2009
- Commonwealth Games delegation arrives in New Delhi - May 11, 2009
Tags: 2006 commonwealth games, 2010 commonwealth games, asia, asian games, city hamilton, commonwealth games 2010, full swing, games new, gold medals, India, international sports event, kuala lumpur malaysia, netball, New Delhi, rugby, second time