Pregnant woman in Doda accuses Lashkar militants of gang raping her repeatedlyFebruary 4th, 2009 - 5:59 pm ICT by ANI
By Tahir Nadeem Khan
Jammu, Feb 4 (ANI): A 31-year-old pregnant Gujjar woman has told police at the Baderwah Police Station in Jammu and Kashmirs Doda District that she was repeatedly gang raped by Lashkar-e-Toiba militants for two months. High drama was witnessed at the police station in Baderwah when the woman, Shah Bano Begum, identified one of the militants Imitiyaz during an identification parade. She thrashed him in front of the policemen and broke down.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Doda, Prabhat Singh said some of the suspects were brought to police station for identification.
“When she saw the militant among the crowd, she raised an alarm and thrashed him. It took us some time to cool her down and bring situation under control,” he said.
Shah Bano Begum says that she had been pregnant for five months when the militants raped her.
She said that she did not immediately lodge any formal complaint with the police fearing a reprisal from the terrorists.
“Due to social stigma and fear, many female victims do not lodge a police complaint. We have arrested Imitiyaz and a hunt is on to look for other militants responsible for this gruesome act,” Singh said.
Details of the gruesome incident surfaced following circulation of news that Imitiyaz had been arrested. Shah Bano Begum husband, Mohammad Shafi, immediately approached the police station and informed about the rape. The police later asked him to bring his wife for the identification parade where she identified Imitiyaz.
She has also named other Lashkar militants Ashiq Hussain alias Abu Umair, Mohammad Ashraf alias Abu Jehadi and Mudassar Hussain alias Abu Furqan, all locals of Baderwah, as being the ones who raped her.
Police have now registered a case under Sections 376, 452 of the Ranbir Penal Code and 7/25 Arms Act. “Hunt is on to nab the other ultras responsible for the incident,” Kumar said.
“They were four people when they came to my home in summer. They forced my husband out of the house and then raped me. I pleaded before them that I was pregnant, it hardly did have an effect on them,” said Shah Bano Begum, the victim.
She said they later used to call her to their hideout threatening of dire consequences if she would not oblige.
“I was under pressure from them because they had threatened to kill my family,” she said.
As the police have gained upper hand against militants in the erstwhile Doda district, victims of terrorism are coming forward to lodge their complaints against those gunmen who have meted out atrocities on them.
The people have been providing information to the police about the presence of militants, and women, who bore maximum brunt of the terrorists, are also coming forward to narrate their tale of woes.
Singh said militants had physically exploited a number of women at gunpoint in erstwhile Doda district.
While pointing towards recent killings of some commanders of the terrorist outfits, said it was all due to the local support that the forces had eliminated these commanders. (ANI)
- Jammu woman files rape complaint against four LeT guerrillas - Feb 02, 2009
- UP ex-minister, aide to undergo DNA test - Jul 11, 2012
- Woman alleges rape by army men, Omar promises action (Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Minor gangraped, one arrested - Jan 28, 2012
- Army orders probe into rape allegations by Kashmir woman (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Mother arrested for honour killing in Patna - Apr 22, 2012
- 'Harassed' by cops, girl jumps into river in Kashmir - May 30, 2011
- Two held for raping Kolkata woman in moving car (Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Fake faith healer held for raping seven girls - Nov 29, 2010
- Kashmir youth no longer swayed by militancy, says police - Mar 10, 2012
- Alleged Kashmir rape: Identification parade of army men postponed - Jul 24, 2011
- BPO rape: Three accused refuse identification parade - Dec 07, 2010
- Kolkata RJ accuses industrialist's son of raping her - Jul 16, 2012
- Abu Jindal's mother says he is innocent - Jun 28, 2012
- Man arrested for raping lover - Oct 31, 2011
Tags: ashraf, doda district, formal complaint, gruesome incident, gujjar, high drama, jammu, lashkar e toiba, militants, mohammad shafi, nadeem khan, penal code, police complaint, police station, prabhat, pregnant woman, reprisal, situation under control, social stigma, umair