Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to begin in Chennai todayJanuary 7th, 2009 - 11:53 am ICT by ANI
Chennai, Jan 7 (ANI): The three-day Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) 2009 will begin here today.
About 1500 delegates from across the world are expected to take part in the PBD.
The 7th Indian Diaspora convention is being organised by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs in partnership with the Government of Tamil Nadu and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
The theme of PBD 2009 is Engaging the Diaspora The way forward
Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh will inaugurate the PBD convention tomorrow.
President Prathibha Patil will deliver the valedictory address on January 9. She would also confer the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman awards for 2009.
Several Central Ministers and Chief Ministers are also scheduled to address the delegates.
The focus topics for discussion include Indian Diaspora : Preservation of Language and Culture, Role of Diaspora Youth in the 21st Century India and India as an Emerging Power : The Diaspora Factor.
A special Trade and Industry Exhibition with participation from the Corporate, Financial Institutions, State Governments, NGOs and others will form part of the event.
The Overseas Indian Facilitation Centre (OIFC) will set up a market place at the venue to facilitate business and investment.
PBD Conventions provide a platform for exchange of views and networking to the Persons of Indian Origin on matters of common interest.
These Conventions enable the Government of India to better understand the expectations of the Overseas Indians from the land of their ancestors and to acknowledge their role in Indias all-round development. (ANI)
- 9th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to highlight northeast region, says Vayalar Ravi - Sep 22, 2010
- PM to inaugurate PBD 2011 - Sep 22, 2010
- Over 1,500 delegates to attend Indian diaspora conclave in 2012 - Aug 26, 2011
- PM to inaugurate Pravasi Bharatiya Divas in Chennai today - Jan 08, 2009
- Regional diaspora meet in Dubai this year: Ravi - Jan 09, 2012
- Cochin to host next annual Indian diaspora meet - Jun 19, 2012
- Annual diaspora meet begins in Jaipur Saturday - Jan 05, 2012
- New Zealand Governor General to be Chief Guest of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas-2011 - Dec 21, 2010
- 1500 delegates expected at Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2009 in Chennai - Nov 11, 2008
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas starts Friday, northeast in focus - Jan 06, 2011
- India's annual diaspora conclave kicks off Saturday - Jan 06, 2012
- Vayalar skips, Preneet Kaur to lead India at Pravasi Divas - Jun 08, 2011
- Over 1500 delegates to attend Non-Resident Indians Day - Dec 23, 2009
- Trinidad and Tobago PM chief guest at Pravasi Bharatiya Divas - Oct 27, 2011
- NRIs get right to vote in Indian elections (Second Lead) - Jan 08, 2012
Tags: chief ministers, confederation of indian industry, culture role, dr manmohan singh, financial institutions, government of india, government of tamil nadu, india as an emerging power, indian diaspora, indian origin, industry exhibition, language and culture, manmohan, manmohan singh, ministry of overseas indian affairs, oifc, overseas indian facilitation centre, prathibha patil, state governments, valedictory address