Pratibha Patil calls for effective implementation of schemes for farmersNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:14 am ICT by admin
This is Patil’s first visit to her ancestral village since being elected India’s President.
Expressing deep concern over farmer suicides in Vidarbha region of Maharashtra, Patil suggested supplementary business for them, besides effective implementation of relief packages.
The spate of suicides in Maharashtra has not abated despite highly publicised efforts by New Delhi to ease the farmers’ financial burden.
In July, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh announced over 400 million dollars in one-time grant, interest waivers and debt restructuring, besides a one-year moratorium on loan repayments for farmers.
But activists say the package had failed to make an impact, and farmers in Maharashtra’s worst hit Vidharba region were still committing suicides at the rate of three every day.
At a felicitation function, Patil also emphasised on women empowerment in order to develop the nation.
“If women are weak, then the country cannot progress. If they are strong then the nation will be moving towards a path of development and progress,” Patil said.
Later, Patil also offered prayers at a shrine of Goddess Amba Devi. (ANI)
- 3 more farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - May 22, 2012
- Farmer critical after attempting suicide at Chavan's rally - Dec 04, 2011
- Farmer's suicides: BJP calls government a 'murderer' - May 02, 2012
- Five more farmers commit suicides in Vidarbha - May 01, 2012
- Cotton farmers' stir continues in Maharashtra - Nov 17, 2011
- Economist Vijay Kelkar visits crisis-ridden Vidarbha - Apr 06, 2012
- UP farmers seek Big B's help to write off debts - May 16, 2012
- Cotton farmers protest against proposed bailout package - Nov 23, 2011
- NRI facilitates computer lessons for Vidarbha farmers - Jul 15, 2012
- Oman industrialist good Samaritan for Vidarbha farm widows - Apr 23, 2012
- Dowry system fuelling farmers' suicides in Vidarbha - May 20, 2012
- Vidharba farmers protest Chavan's 'peanuts' bailout package - Dec 15, 2011
- Maharashtra farmers seek probe into relief disbursal - Jun 01, 2010
- Debt drives three more Vidarbha farmers to suicide (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Economist Kelkar to meet Vidarbha farmers - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: abated, amba, amravati, ancestral village, debt restructuring, farmers, felicitation, financial burden, implementation, loan repayments, maharashtra, moratorium, pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan singh, suicides, waivers, women empowerment