Pratibha Patil asks Kerala to focus on development of sunrise industries(Lead: Patil)November 14th, 2007 - 8:15 am ICT by admin
On this occasion, Patil also launched imaginative programmes relating to Clean Kerala Mission, Total Physical Fitness and Scholarships for Higher Education.
Patil said that Ayurveda centres that exist in Kerala could be made an integral part of the health sector.
“In creating awareness about a healthy life, the high levels of literacy in Kerala would be greatly helpful,” she said.
Observing that the increasing percentage of the elderly population has several implications in relation to health needs, work participation rate, dependence rate and pension requirements, Patil said: “Focused attention needs to be given to meet the needs of the elderly.”
She said on-site health care delivery could be provided to the elderly through various measures such as provision of mobile medical units, organising home visits to bed ridden elderly and training caregivers.
“Needs of the elderly population should form a part of the Healthy Kerala Mission,” she said.
A Scholarship Scheme for the higher education sector was also launched, under which 10,000 scholarships will be given.
Patil said necessary facilities for establishing centers for handling outsourced work and for setting up IT enabled services should be given importance.
“In this venture, the large Non-resident India community from Kerala could be useful partners and investments from them can be attracted through innovative schemes,” she said.
Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan, Kerala Legislative Assembly Speaker K. Radhakrishnan and Leader of Opposition Oomen Chandy were present on the occasion. (ANI)
- Kerala development model is sustainable: Experts - Sep 12, 2012
- Investment meet will help make Kerala an economic powerhouse: PM (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Development is answer to left-wing extremism: Sonia (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Government proposing a new National Urban Health Mission: PM - Jun 30, 2012
- President Patil underlines need for development of North-East - Mar 10, 2011
- Patil's goodbye wish: A 'corruption-free India' - Jul 24, 2012
- 'Smart cities way forward to housing for all' - Aug 04, 2012
- Quality, affordable healthcare for all necessary: Patil - Jan 25, 2012
- Government's major thrust on livelihood security, health: President - Mar 12, 2012
- President Patil pitches on the need to produce world-class human resource - Dec 10, 2010
- Good taxi drivers key to tourism, says study (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- India steps up knowledge diplomacy with Africa - Jan 18, 2012
- Second green revolution needed for food security: President - Aug 06, 2011
- Kerala should do more science and technology: Vayalar Ravi - Sep 13, 2012
- Text of Prime Minister's Independence Day speech - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: bed ridden, elderly population, foundation day, health care, higher education, industry health, kerala, knowledge industry, leader of opposition, mobile medical units, necessary facilities, organising home, outsourced work, pratibha patil, radhakrishnan, scholarship scheme, scholarships, sunrise industries, tourism knowledge, work participation rate