Pranab visits Kashmir on poll campaignJuly 15th, 2012 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 15 (IANS) United Progressive Alliance (UPA) presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee arrived here Sunday to meet Jammu and Kashmir leaders ahead of the July 19 poll, even as he again appealed to Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee to support him.
“I am hopeful of Mamata Banerjee’s support,” Mukherjee told reporters here.
He met Congress legislators and later called on People’s Democratic Party (PDP) patron and former state chief minister Mufti Muhammad Sayeed at the latter’s residence in the city.
PDP sources said Sayeed had assured Pranab of his party’s support during the election.
“Welcome Mr. President,” Sayeed is reported to have told Mukherjee when he arrived.
Sayeed is also reported to have expressed his happiness over the almost certain victory of the UPA presidential candidate.
“He would not be a rubber stamp president in any case,” a PDP source cited Sayeed as saying.
Independent legislator Engineer Rashid, who also met Mukherjee, Sunday evening issued a statement saying he had given a memorandum to Mukherjee seeking clemency for the parliament attack convict, Afzal Guru. Rashid hoped Mukherjee would act on this once he gets elected as the country’s next president.
- Presidential poll: Priority to evolve consensus, says Congress - May 03, 2012
- Presidential poll: Sangma hopeful of win, Trinamool support - Jul 15, 2012
- Presidential poll: Mamata meets Sonia as Congress seeks UPA consensus (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Mukherjee will now win by bigger margin, says Congress - Jul 17, 2012
- Pranab in UP Monday to scout for support - Jul 02, 2012
- Sibal meets Mamata to seek support for Pranab - Jul 05, 2012
- Will I forge my own signature, asks Pranab - Jul 05, 2012
- President polls: Congress hopes for Mamata's support - May 03, 2012
- Pranab to visit Kashmir to scout for support - Jul 08, 2012
- Sangma seeks debate with Pranab (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Would like to see Pranab challenged: Subramanian Swamy - Jun 16, 2012
- Congratulations Pranab Da, tweets Omar Abdullah (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Pranab in UP Tuesday to canvass for presidential poll (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Congress again appeals to Trinamool to support Pranab - Jul 05, 2012
- Pranab arrives in Kolkata, to meet supporters Monday - Jul 08, 2012
Tags: chief minister, clemency, convict, democratic party, kashmir, legislator, legislators, mamata banerjee, mr president, mufti, poll campaign, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, progressive alliance, rashid, rubber stamp, sayeed, state chief, sunday evening, welcome mr