Pranab Mukherjee celebrates Durga Puja with fervourOctober 6th, 2008 - 10:09 pm ICT by ANI
Birbhum (West Bengal), Oct 6 (ANI): External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee is celebrating Durga Puja at his ancestral home in Birbhum District of West Bengal.
The Mukherjee family has been organizing the puja for the past 114 years at their ancestral home, where villagers come in large numbers during the five-days of festivities and rituals.
Mukherjee said that this is the only time he meets his childhood friends and extended family.
The Foreign Minister said, “My family members, at times my grandfather, my uncles, my father’’s uncles, my cousins and their sons - we all celebrate the festival together.”
The Durga Puja is one of the most vibrant festivals celebrated in India.
Durga, the most powerful of all Hindu gods and goddesses, is portrayed as the goddess with prowess to kill the evil.
Legend has it that demons from the other world invaded heavens after a hundred years of war. The Hindu trinity of Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu then created Durga, the most powerful of all gods and goddesses to vanquish the demons. (ANI)
- Prayers, festivity in Pranab's village - Jul 22, 2012
- Hope prices come down, Pranab wishes on Bijaya Dasami - Oct 06, 2011
- Thousands hit the roads as Durga Puja begins in Bengal - Oct 02, 2011
- Kolkata artists prepare Durga Puja pandal with 10,000 Tablas! - Sep 20, 2009
- Pranab dons the priest's robe during Durga Puja - Oct 05, 2011
- Maha Ashtami celebrated in Kolkata - Sep 26, 2009
- Durga Puja celebrated with great fervour in West Bengal - Oct 16, 2010
- We will celebrate on July 25: Pranab's daughter - Jul 22, 2012
- Revolt against British lives on in Santhal Durga Puja (Lead correcting figure in para 3) - Oct 06, 2010
- Pranab takes time out from busy schedule for Durga Puja - Oct 14, 2010
- Sea of humanity throngs Bengal streets on Mahashtami (Lead) - Oct 15, 2010
- Santhal Durga Puja symbolises revolt against British - Oct 06, 2010
- Durga Puja fever soars in West Bengal (Lead) - Oct 17, 2010
- Pranab's hometown rolls out red carpet for its 'Poltu' - Jun 23, 2012
- West Bengal celebrates Mahanavami - Oct 16, 2010
Tags: ancestral home, birbhum, childhood friends, durga puja, extended family, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, festivities, foreign minister, gods and goddesses, hindu gods and goddesses, hindu trinity, hundred years, large numbers, pranab mukherjee, prowess, rituals, shiva, uncles, west bengal