Prakash Singh Badal asks people to be calmMay 27th, 2009 - 5:19 pm ICT by ANI
Amritsar, May 27 (ANI): Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal has appealed to the people not to allow miscreants to disturb peace in the state.
“I appeal to the people of Punjab that these miscreants are enemies of the country as well as enemies of Punjab. After a lot of difficulty, peace and prosperity returned to Punjab and they want to disturb that. We should not let them fulfill their vested interests,” Badal said.
Punjab was engulfed in a spate of violent protests over the killing of a Sikh preacher in Austria.
Thousands of Dalits torched trains, cars and shops on Monday to protest against the murder of a leader of a religious sect in an attack on a temple in Vienna, prompting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to appeal for calm.
The preacher who died was from the Dera Sach Khand, which has a large Dalit following among lower caste Sikhs and Hindus in India.
At least 16 persons were hurt in the violence in Vienna on Sunday when six armed men attacked two preachers visiting from India during a temple ceremony.
Austrian police said they did not know yet about the motives for the attack.
Sikhism officially rejects caste but social hierarchies still prevail. Dera Sach Khand has gained many followers from the Dalit community in Punjab and is opposed by many mainstream Sikhs. (ANI)
- 1,000 commemorate Indian sect leader slain in Vienna (Lead, correcting names in Para 1,2) - May 30, 2010
- 1,000 commemorate Indian sect leader slain in Vienna - May 30, 2010
- Akal Takht asks SGPC to send team to probe Vienna shooting - Aug 12, 2009
- State funeral for sect leader as thousands attend in Punjab (Lead) - Jun 04, 2009
- Dalits in Canada call Vienna killing 'act of terrorism' - May 26, 2009
- One killed as Punjab burns over Vienna gurdwara clash (Third Lead) - May 25, 2009
- India-Pakistan bus service temporarily halted - May 25, 2009
- Thousands pour in for sect leader's cremation in Punjab - Jun 04, 2009
- Vienna violence against Sikhs still agitating Punjab leaders - Jun 02, 2009
- Social neglect leading to growing influence of sects: Experts - May 29, 2009
- Man fires at police investigating Indian temple attack in Austria - Jun 16, 2009
- Curfew relaxed briefly in violence-hit Punjab, Badal calls for all-party meet - May 26, 2009
- One dead as Punjab erupts over Vienna gurdwara killing (Roundup) - May 25, 2009
- Vienna police investigating murder of Sant Rama Nand shot at - Jun 15, 2009
- Punjab limps back to normalcy, but tension persists (Second Lead) - May 26, 2009
Tags: armed men, austrian police, caste, dalit, hindus in india, manmohan, manmohan singh, miscreants, prakash singh badal, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, punjab chief minister, religious sect, sach khand, sikhism, sikhs, social hierarchies, spate, temple ceremony, violent protests