Prakash and Mandakini Amte get Ramon Magsaysay AwardJuly 31st, 2008 - 6:52 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur , July 31 (ANI): Prakash and Mandakini Amte , India s philanthropist doctors, were declared winners of the prestigious Ramon Magsaysay Award.
They were given this award for their contributions to improving the lives of tribals in a remote Maharashtra village through medical care and education.
Prakash, the son of noted social activist Baba Amte, and his wife Mandakini are among the seven individuals from different countries who have been selected for this years Magsaysay Award, regarded as Asia s equivalent of the Nobel Prize.
The medical doctor couple has been selected for the community leadership award, the Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation said in Manila .
They are being recognised for enhancing the capacity of the Madia Gonds (tribals) to adapt positively in todays India , through healing and teaching and other compassionate interventions, it said.
The husband-wife duo runs a school and a hospital at Hemalkasa village in the underprivileged district of Gadchiroli in Maharashtra ‘’s Vidarbha region for the welfare of the Madia Gond tribals.
Prakashs father Baba Amte, who died in February this year, had received the Ramon Magsaysay Award for public service in 1985. (ANI)
- 'Superstition hinders healthcare in tribal Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh' - Apr 02, 2009
- Magsaysay award for Prakash, Mandakini Amte - Jul 31, 2008
- Baba Amte's widow dies - Jul 09, 2011
- Prakash and Mandakini Amte get Magsaysay Award (Lead) - Jul 31, 2008
- Indians Harish Hande, Nileema Mishra win Magsaysay Award - Jul 27, 2011
- Maharashtra governor, chief minister greet Amtes - Jul 31, 2008
- Magsaysay laureate Neelima Mishra denied US visa - Sep 30, 2011
- Magsaysay winner Neelima Mishra granted US visa - Oct 03, 2011
- Indian wins Ramon Magasaysay Award - Jul 26, 2012
- Indians Nileema Mishra, Harish Hande win Magsaysay Award (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- 3 more farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - May 22, 2012
- Taiwanese vegetable vendor is among Asia's Nobel winners - Jul 26, 2012
- Kakodkar chosen for Maharashtra Bhushan Award - Apr 26, 2012
- Self respect, not charity is our belief: Magsaysay winner - Jul 26, 2012
- Bangladeshi wins Magsaysay award - Aug 03, 2010
Tags: community leadership, doctor couple, gond, husband wife, interventions, kuala lumpur, leadership award, madia, mandakini, medical care, medical doctor, nobel prize, philanthropist, prakash, ramon magsaysay award, ramon magsaysay award foundation, social activist, tribals, vidarbha region, wife duo