Power supply nearly restored in Kashmir ValleyJanuary 9th, 2012 - 2:43 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 9 (IANS) The Kashmir Valley, which had plunged into darkness Friday evening after two transmission lines bringing electricity from the northern power grid snapped, was in for some respite Monday after one of the lines was restored.
“The 400 KV Kishenpur-Wagoora transmission line was restored Sunday evening. Electric supply has been restored in most areas of Srinagar, Ganderbal, Badgam, Baramulla, Kupwara, Anantnag, Kulgam, Shopian, Pulwama and Bandipora towns, except for some local faults in south Kashmir’s far-flung areas which are being corrected,” said Muhammad Muzaffar Mattoo, chief engineer (electric maintenance) Kashmir.
“We have restored power supply to Gulmarg. We have also restored electricity to the far-flung areas of Tangdhar and Keran. We are in the process of restoring the supply in Pahalgam by today evening,” Mattoo informed IANS.
The electric supply in Kashmir has improved from a bare 87 megawatts to over 700 megawatts.
“We are supplying over 700 megawatts of power in the valley and are importing more to take up the availability to 1,000 megawatts. This will restore normal supply throughout the valley today,” said Mattoo.
The chief engineer added that the other major power transmission line, the 220 KV Kishenpur-Pampore line, was also being restored.
“The restoration work on the Kishenpur-Pampore line is on. The electric power situation is near normal now. All essential supplies, including those to hospitals, water filtration plants, airports, dewatering stations and the supply position to the consumers, are running on schedule. The worst is already over,” the chief engineer said.
- Power supply to return to normal Monday: Omar - Jan 09, 2012
- Kashmir plunged into darkness; web, mobile links snapped - Jan 07, 2012
- No power: Kashmir valley freezes in darkness - Jan 08, 2012
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir, avalanche warning issued (With Images) - Jan 15, 2012
- Cold Wave continues unabated across North India (Roundup) - Jan 09, 2012
- Omar orders suspension of power to VVIP homes in Srinagar - Jan 07, 2012
- Snowfall cuts off Kashmir from rest of country - Jan 16, 2012
- Windstorm causes widespread damage across Kashmir Valley (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Fog disrupts power transmission in Haryana - Dec 22, 2011
- Pay market price of power, Omar tells grumbling people - Jun 21, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu national highway still closed - Dec 31, 2010
- Kashmir windstorm eases out, leaves behind trail of destruction - Mar 21, 2012
- Violent winds leave trail of destruction in Kashmir, one dead (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2012
- One killed as violent winds leave trail of destruction in Kashmir (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- LPG shortage hits Kashmir as snowfall continues - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: chief engineer, friday evening, kashmir, kashmir valley, kv, megawatts, muhammad, pahalgam, power grid, power situation, power supply, power transmission line, respite, restoration work, south kashmir, srinagar, sunday evening, supply position, transmission lines, water filtration plants