Poverty alleviation programme for urban poor in IndiaJune 3rd, 2009 - 6:00 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 3 (ANI): Minister of State for Planning V Narayanasamy today said that the Government is mulling an National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA)-type poverty alleviation programme for the urban poor.
Talking to reporters after taking over the charge of the Ministry, Narayanasamy said that the government is planning such a scheme for urban poor.
“The government would focus on infrastructure development besides pursuing the employment guarantee scheme, anti-poverty programmes and rural and urban development projects,” he added.
Outlining the priority of the second-term of the UPA government, Narayanasamy said that the government would see that there is all round progress in the country.
Under the NREGA scheme, which was launched in February 2006, the government provides 100 days of employment in every financial year to at least one person in a rural household.
Initially launched in 200 districts, the NREGA scheme was gradually extended to cover the entire nation in 2008-09. (ANI)
- Rural job scheme causing farm labour shortage: Study - Feb 12, 2012
- 'Extend rural job scheme to urban areas' - Mar 15, 2012
- Jaipur police baton-charge protesting village Panchayat chiefs - Sep 01, 2010
- Showcasing a 'pro-poor' agenda in tribal heartland - Jun 07, 2011
- PM announces rural wage hike, Sonia wants new direction(Lead) - Feb 02, 2011
- Maximise benefits of rural jobs scheme : PM - Feb 02, 2010
- Employment growth vital for ensuring development process: Mukherjee - Jan 12, 2011
- Livelihood mission to strengthen self-help groups: Joshi - Jun 25, 2010
- India does first urban poverty survey - May 31, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi attends national workshop on NREGA - Aug 20, 2009
- Ministers to brief state Congress chiefs on welfare schemes - Dec 06, 2011
- Funds hiked 144 percent for ambitious rural job scheme - Jul 06, 2009
- Counting India's poor begins Wednesday - Jun 28, 2011
- Funds for building toilets to be hiked: Jairam - Apr 25, 2012
- National livelihood mission to rural raise workers's skills - Jun 03, 2011