Post blast, Ajmer scales down Eid ul-Fitr celebrationsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:14 am ICT by admin
Muslims in Ajmer said that they would not celebrate Eid, which marks the end of the holy fasting month of Ramzan, but would simply offer prayers.
“In a very simple manner, we are just offering ‘namaz’ (prayers) and there will be no celebrations because of the blast,” said Rehmanul Chisti, spokesperson of the shrine committee in Ajmer.
Meanwhile, in Agra, Muslims gathered to offer prayers at the Taj Mahal amid tight security.
“Today around 8-10 thousand people offered ‘namaz’ (prayers). Internal security of the Taj Mahal was taken care of to avoid any untoward incident,” said Mukesh, District Collector of Agra.
Muslims in Jammu flocked to mosques to offer prayers.
Several security personnel were placed at the mosques to avoid any untoward incident during the festivities.
Celebrations started after confirmation was received on the beginning of the month of Shawwal.
Muslims in Delhi flocked at the popular shrine ‘Jama Masjid’ to offer Eid prayers.
As is customary, Muslims embraced each other and exchanged Eid greetings after the prayers.
The scene was no different at mosques in Mumbai and Kolkata where devotees came together to pray.
Muslims in Kerala and some other parts of the country celebrated the festival on Saturday, and gathered in mosques and specially set up ‘Idgahs’ to offer namaz.
Eid ul-Fitr is celebrated on the last day of the holy month of Ramzan during which devout Muslims abstain from eating and drinking from dawn to dusk. (ANI)
- Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in Odisha - Aug 20, 2012
- Delhi celebrates Eid with feasting and fervour - Aug 20, 2012
- Assam celebrates Eid with fervour - Aug 31, 2011
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Taj city celebrates Eid peacefully despite alert - Aug 20, 2012
- Muslims across the country celebrate Eid ul-Fitr - Sep 21, 2009
- Iranian supreme leader pardons over 1,200 prisoners - Aug 29, 2011
- Eid-ul-Fitr celebrated with fervour in Lucknow - Aug 31, 2011
- India celebrates Eid -- from Kashmir to down south (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2011
- Gaiety marks Eid in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 31, 2011
- UAE moon sighting committee to meet Aug 29 - Aug 23, 2011
- Eid celebrated in Delhi - Aug 31, 2011
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated in Meghalaya - Aug 31, 2011
- Peaceful Eid prayers held across Kashmir - Nov 07, 2011