Popular sweet ‘Dhodha’ now being exportedNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:29 am ICT by admin
Invented almost a century ago by a wrestler, Dhodha is nutritious and delicious too.
Harbans Vig, a wrestler wanted to include something rich and nutritional in his diet. So, he got down to experimenting in his kitchen where he stumbled upon this sweet nourisher in 1912, in a town called Khushab of Sargodha district, now in Pakistan.
After partition, Harbans’s family migrated to India and settled down in Kotkapura town and commercialised the sweet for sale.
The recipe of the Dhodha sweet has been a well guarded ’secret’ and for generations the family has improved on its taste, its quality and the shelf life.
“We have enhanced the secret recipe given to us by our forefathers. We have improved its quality and taste. We are in the process of amplifying the business by increasing its shelf life. Dhodha’s shelf life is 2-3 months, if no fungus settles on it or if it stored in normal room temperature. No sweet has a shelf life for more than 15-20 days, but Dhodha has,” said Vipin Vig, Dhodha House.
An ISO certified company, ‘The Royal Dhodha House’ expanded its business, with supply to 40 towns in Punjab and all over country and abroad.
The credit for popularising Dhodha internationally goes to non-resident Punjabis, who always present ‘Dhodha’ sweet as a gift.
“Almost every neighbouring village has its 40-50 people settled abroad. When they visit Punjab, if they are allowed to carry 28 kgs of luggage, then you can be sure that it includes 8 kg of Dhodha sweet. The taste for Dhodha is so much that a visit to Kotkapura or a nearby place means a sure visit to Dhodha House. Seeing the demand, we have started exporting Dhodha sweet and have opened franchises out there,” he said.
The sweet priced at Rs 160 (dollar 4) per kilogram is a must for those with a sweet tooth and nobody passes through Kotkapura town without buying a box of Dhodha as a souvenir. (ANI)
- Milkfed targets 200,000 boxes of sweets this Diwali - Oct 28, 2010
- Pumpkin Pie recipes - Nov 24, 2011
- Surjeet given rousing welcome in Punjab's Phidde village - Jun 29, 2012
- Three killed in Pakistan factory blast - Nov 23, 2011
- 2 die of food poisoning, 150 fall ill in Punjab (Lead) - Apr 06, 2011
- MTR Foods to go national; double revenue by 2012 - Jun 22, 2010
- Pak court extends custody of two brothers accused of cannibalism - Apr 07, 2011
- Worried US demands China nuclear pact details from Pak - Oct 22, 2010
- Chubritza to lokum, delightfully Turkish - in Kolkata! (Eating Out With IANS) - Jun 12, 2011
- I want love and money, says protagonist of TV wedding - May 17, 2011
- Police check-post set ablaze protesting man's killing - Dec 31, 2011
- Coriander-fortified bread is long-lasting and nutritious: Kolkata research - Jul 19, 2012
- For your tastebuds - food from Tagore's home (Eating Out With IANS) - Aug 11, 2011
- Pak's secret nuclear weapons programme infuriating US - Oct 11, 2010
- Diwali gift packs, with love from Tihar Jail - Oct 21, 2011