Polling for second phase of Bihar Assembly elections beginsOctober 24th, 2010 - 11:18 am ICT by ANI
Patna, Oct 24 (ANI): Polling for the second phase of Bihar Assembly elections began on Sunday morning amidst unprecedented security measures.
Over 98 lakh electorates will decide the fate of 623 candidates including 46 women in 45constituencies spread over six districts of Muzaffarpur, East Champaran, Sitamarhi, Sheohar, Darbhanga and Samastipur.
The polling started at 7 a.m. on Sunday morning and it will continue till 5 p.m. except five constituencies of Minapur, Paru, Sahebganj, Sheohar and Belsand where it will end at 3 pm.
Out of over 10 thousand polling booths, 3,700 have been declared super sensitive.
Political stalwarts whose fate will be decided include state RJD chief Abdul Bari Siddiqui (Alinagar), his JD(U) counterpart Vijay Kumar Choudhary (Sarairanjan), ministers Ramnath Thakur (Samastipur) and Shahid Ali Khan (Sursand).
Bihar Director General of Police Neelmani said that state’s borders with Nepal and West Bengal have been sealed to prevent any infiltration of anti social elements.
He said Jawans of Special Task Force would maintain air surveillance from helicopters to ensure trouble free polls.
The third phase of election will take place on October 28 for 48 seats, the fourth on November1 for 42 seats, the fifth phase on November 9 for 25 seats and the sixth and last phase on November 20 for 26 seats.
Counting of votes will take place on November 24. (ANI)
- Bihar Assembly polls: Maoists raid polling centre in Sitamarhi - Oct 24, 2010
- Over 52 percent voter turn out in phase-II of Bihar polls - Oct 24, 2010
- 50 percent voting in Bihar till 2 p.m. - Oct 24, 2010
- Campaign for second phase of Bihar polls to end today - Oct 23, 2010
- Second phase of Bihar polls begins - Oct 24, 2010
- Voting begins for second phase of Bihar polls (Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
- Voting begins for second phase of Bihar polls (Second Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
- EC changes poll timing, as Bihar goes to phase-II of elections on Sunday - Oct 23, 2010
- Maoist violence in Bihar as polling under way - Oct 24, 2010
- Voting under way in Bihar amid Maoist disruptions (Third Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
- Millions vote in Bihar -- peacefully again (Evening Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
- Millions vote in Bihar despite Maoist threats (Night Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
- Bihar poll-second phase: Caste arithmetic to play decisive role (Curtain Raiser) - Oct 23, 2010
- Notification issued for second phase of Bihar polls - Sep 29, 2010
- 52.55 percent votes cast in Bihar polls second phase (Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
Tags: air surveillance, ali khan, bihar assembly elections, champaran, darbhanga, electorates, fifth phase, free polls, november1, patna, polling booths, rjd, shahid ali, siddiqui, social elements, stalwarts, thakur, unprecedented security measures, vijay kumar, west bengal