Polling begins for final phase of assembly elections in ChhattisgarhNovember 20th, 2008 - 11:21 am ICT by ANI
Raipur, Nov 20 (ANI): Polling has begun in Chhattisgarh for the second and final phase of assembly elections.
Voting is taking place in 51 constituencies in this phase.
Political future of 687 candidates including 50 women will be sealed in the EVMs with 88,14,228 voters expected to exercise their franchise.
The ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) are contesting on all 51 seats while the Congress has candidates on 48 seats, leaving three seats to its ally Nationalist Congress Party (NCP).
Besides former Chief Minister Ajit Jogi and his wife Renu Jogi, prominent leaders who are in the fray include BJP State President Vishnudeo Sai, Deputy Speaker Badridhar Diwan, Home Minister Ramvichar Netam, Health Minister Amar Agrawal, Dilipsingh Judeo’’s son Yudhvir Singh Judeo and former Home Mminister Nand Kumar Patel.
There are 12,073 polling stations across the eight districts including the Raipur, Bilaspur, Korba, Raigarh, Sarguja, Koria, Jashpur and Janjgir and Champa, where elections will be held amid tight security.
As many as 2608 booths have been classified as sensitive and 355 booths as hypersensitive.
Voting for 39 Assembly seats was held in the first phase on November 14. The first phase of polls in Chhattisgarh, which registered 55 per cent turnout, was marred by disruptions and Naxal violence. (ANI)
- Chhattisgarh polls tomorrow - Nov 19, 2008
- It's neck and neck in Chhattisgarh phase-II - Nov 18, 2008
- Ajit Jogi bribed voters: BJP - May 05, 2011
- Chhattisgarh cabinet reshuffled - Feb 18, 2012
- 20,000 Chhattisgarh girls sold: Jogi - Nov 13, 2011
- Moderate to heavy turnout in Chhattisgarh polls (Lead) - Nov 20, 2008
- Chhattisgarh records 40 percent polling by noon (Second Lead) - Nov 20, 2008
- Chhattisgarh farmers renew protest against power project - Jan 18, 2011
- Polling ends in Chhattisgarh with impressive turnout - Nov 20, 2008
- Chhattisgarh cabinet reshuffled (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Congress seeks probe into Videocon's land acquisition - Jul 05, 2011
- Chhattisgarh BJP candidate beats up party leader - Nov 01, 2008
- Congress slams Chhattisgarh for 'selling' rivers, dams - Feb 22, 2011
- Tribal group wants tribal CM in Chhattisgarh - Aug 27, 2012
- Vajpayee's niece, Jogi's wife lose in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - May 16, 2009
Tags: ajit jogi, assembly elections, assembly seats, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, bjp, champa, chhattisgarh raipur, deputy speaker, evms, final phase, health minister, home minister, koria, kumar patel, nand kumar, nationalist congress party, raigarh, state president, tight security