Policeman dies in clash with Meerut villagers as wedding ceremony turns uglyNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:35 am ICT by admin
The members of the grooms’ marriage party were taken hostage. The angry villagers beat up Latafat and Gafoor and smeared their faces with black ink.
Members of the wedding party called the police to rescue them.
A police spokesperson said when their team went to the village to try to pacify the villagers, they were attacked with stones and bricks.
“Late night at about 2.30 a.m. some miscreants pelted stones and because of which six policemen are seriously injured,” said Jyoti Narayan, Senior Superintendent of Police, Meerut.
Brothers Latafat and Gafoor had gone to the brides’ place with a wedding party of about 80 members to marry the two sisters.
The families of grooms and brides began quarrelling after the ceremony, with the brides’ family alleging that the grooms had demanded dowry payments.
“My two sisters were getting married. They (grooms) asked for a motorcycle for each of them. And, we did provide them with that. In total, we had decided on one lakh rupees, which included a motorcycle. The motorcycle we gave, it cost us 80,000 rupees and there was 26,000 rupees in cash. After which they expected us to give a car to each of the grooms and this was the cause of our disagreement and the issue later became more serious,” said Mohammad Bilal, brother of the brides.
The grooms were slapped on their faces till their cheeks bled. They were humiliated and made to hold their ears and squat on the ground, a traditional punishment for children in schools.
Dowry payments have been illegal in India for more than 40 years. However, the practice of demanding and giving dowry during weddings continues. (ANI)
- Bikes and fridges for relatives of BSP leader's new son-in-law - Mar 26, 2011
- Groom, father held for demanding dowry - Nov 25, 2011
- The grooms were drunk, the brides said no - May 01, 2012
- Women gamers thrash dowry-seekers online - Mar 21, 2012
- Bridegroom arrested after father demands dowry - May 13, 2011
- Bangladeshi girl dumps groom for demanding dowry - Nov 16, 2011
- Groom stranded as bride flees with money - Sep 03, 2012
- Spain shuts migrant marriage fraud ring - Feb 01, 2012
- Overloaded bus plunges into river in southern Kenya, killing 23 - Aug 21, 2011
- Man shot in suspected honour killing in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 02, 2012
- Groom murders bride, best man and himself at Brazilian wedding - Dec 21, 2010
- Abu Dhabi prince attends mass wedding - Jan 15, 2012
- Giving dowry to save proposed marriage no offence: Court - Oct 21, 2010
- Woman killed in Pakistan for not bringing car in dowry - Dec 21, 2010
- Panchayat ousts newly-weds from village in gotra row - Feb 03, 2010
Tags: angry villagers, bilal, brides, dowry, faces, humiliated, jyoti, lakh, marriage party, meerut, miscreants, narayan, pacify, police spokesperson, rupees, taken hostage, two sisters, wedding ceremony, wedding party