Police seize over 150 tortoises from Bihar (Re-issue)June 5th, 2008 - 12:57 pm ICT by ANI
Patna, June 5 (ANI): Bihar police has seized over 150 tortoises from an unidentified sack lying on a railway station in Patna on Wednesday.
The police recovered these tortoises from Danapur railway station, while they were being smuggled out of the city.
Amongst the rescued tortoises, some were seriously injured and are being treated at the Sanjay Gandhi Zoo, where they were handed over by the police.
There are 168 tortoise, some of them are severely injured. Some of them had their shells pierced through some sharp pointed material. While some had their legs pierced and tied together. They have been brought here and we have kept them under observation and are providing them with the best available treatment, said Ajay Kumar, Veterinarian, Sanjay Gandhi Zoo.
The veterinarians at the zoo are taking all adequate measures to ensure the safety and security of these land dwelling reptiles.
Though no arrests have been made so far, the police are on a lookout for the culprits.
There is a huge demand for these rare species of tortoise, having distinct star marks on their shells, in the international market.
India has banned the trade of tortoises under the 1972 Wildlife Protection Act but the huge premium and lax laws are increasingly luring poachers to the trade. (ANI)
- Three held with 400 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 29, 2010
- Two poachers held with 900 tortoises - Jan 17, 2011
- Poacher held with over 300 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 12, 2010
- Two poachers held with over 40 tortoises - Jan 10, 2011
- Forest officials rescue 39 smuggled tortoises in Nainital - Feb 13, 2011
- Two poachers held with around 200 tortoises - Jun 09, 2011
- Woman arrested with 85 tortoises - Feb 22, 2011
- Two poachers held with 80 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 16, 2010
- Poacher held with 80 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 06, 2010
- Poachers held with 60 tortoises - Jun 16, 2010
- Poachers nabbed with 40 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 10, 2010
- Railway police rescue tortoises in Patna - Jul 19, 2008
- Three poachers held in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 06, 2011
- Three poachers held with tortoises - Sep 07, 2011
- Four poachers arrested in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 28, 2009
Tags: adequate measures, bihar police, culprits, lax laws, lookout, market india, poachers, railway station, rare species, reptiles, rescued tortoises, safety and security, sanjay gandhi, shells, star marks, tortoise, tortoises, veterinarian, veterinarians, wildlife protection act