Police raids in Azamgarhs terror village underwaySeptember 23rd, 2008 - 1:27 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow, Sept 23 (ANI): Looking for more leads in Delhi blasts case, the Delhi Police on Tuesday in a joint search operation with the Uttar Pradesh Police is carrying out raids in Sanjarpur village of Azamgarh district, said to be the native village of two terrorists nabbed after last Saturdays serial blasts in New Delhi.
About 300 policemen are part of the massive combing operation by the Anti-Terrorist Squad of the Delhi Police and the Special Task Force of the UP Police. After cordoning off the village, the Police are conducting a house-to-house search inside the village.
According to reports, an Orthopaedician and his two brothers have been arrested in connection with the Delhi blasts. Terror accused Mohammad Saif, who was arrested during Fridays Batla house encounter in Delhi was taken to the area along with the police team. The raids are being carried out on the basis of inputs provided by Saif. Sanjarpur is the native village of Saif
Emerging as nursery of terror activities, the small town of Azamgarh came into limelight for all the wrong reasons. Once known for the Hindu-Muslim synergy and high intellect, the region is now being tagged as the new breeding ground for the militants. The intelligence authorities believe that the region has proved to be a fertile ground for many militant outfits.
The Police has said that 13 school friends hailing from Azamgarh had planned and executed the recent serial blasts in Delhi that claimed at least 22 lives and maimed close to 100.
While two militants were killed and one arrested during the fierce encounter, three more arrests were made on September 21. (ANI)
- Uttar Pradesh's ATS nabs Delhi serial blast and Batla House encounter accused - Feb 02, 2010
- Ulema Council to hold rally in Lucknow - Feb 17, 2010
- Azamgarh redefined: An educational hub in 'nursery of terror' - Jan 12, 2011
- Batla House shootout: Court paves way for trial (Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Batla House encounter genuine, no re-opening: Chidambaram - Jan 12, 2012
- Digvijay Singh demands probe into Batla House encounter - Feb 04, 2010
- Police remand of Delhi blasts accused extended - Feb 12, 2010
- Quran and computers: Azamgarh madrassa with a modern touch (Feature) - Jul 08, 2011
- Terrorists want Mulayam to intercede on their behalf - May 05, 2012
- Security tightened in Azamgarh as Muslims vow to protest - Feb 03, 2010
- Terrorist wanted in Delhi blasts arrested in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 01, 2010
- High Court rejects plea for judicial probe in Batla House encounter case - Aug 26, 2009
- Ulema Council objects to exam question on Azamgarh - Feb 24, 2009
- Indian Mujahideen terrorist sent to police custody - Feb 06, 2010
- Mumbai, Uttar Pradesh police raid Azamgarh village, find nothing - Oct 03, 2008
Tags: batla, blasts in delhi, breeding ground, delhi blasts, delhi police, fertile ground, intellect, limelight, militant outfits, militants, mohammad, police raids, police team, policemen, saif, school friends, search operation, serial blasts, terror activities, uttar pradesh police