Police gun down 4 militants in J-KNovember 10th, 2008 - 9:47 pm ICT by ANI
Doda (J-K), Nov 10 (ANI): Security Forces in Jammu and Kashmir gunned down four alleged foreign trained militants of Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) outfit including their district commander in Doda on Sunday.
Acting on a tip-off, troops of Rashtriya Rifle and police launched a joint search operation in the Bagwa area of the district on Saturday.
Alleged HM district commander identified as Mohammad Shafi alias Hashim Khan got killed in the encounter on Saturday. The encounter was completed on Sunday evening with the killing of three militants who were accompanying the HM district commander.
The SP (Superintendent of Police) carried out operation and he asked the militants to surrender. The militants while pretending to surrender kept talking to the officer and at the same time kept crawling towards the suitable position to open fire on the forces. And then they opened fire. Anyhow they had come with the mindset of do or die. We had to open fire in retaliation, said Prabhat Singh, SSP, Doda.
Security Forces recovered huge cache of arms and ammunition that included AK rifles, one Chinese pistol, and five AK magazines.
Officials say clashes between Indian troops and Muslim militants have intensified as militants descend on to the plains to avoid the icy winters of the Himalayan mountaintops.
Multi-stage elections are due to start from November 17 in Kashmir, which has witnessed for the past several months some of the biggest anti-India protests.
Kashmiri separatists demanding an end to Indian rule in the region have called for a complete boycott of the elections.
In the past, separatist guerrillas have attacked and killed scores of candidates and political workers, vandalised polling stations and attacked rallies to thwart elections.
But early this year, the United Jihad Council, a Pakistan-based militant alliance fighting Indian troops in Kashmir, rejected the use of violence to force a boycott of the elections. (ANI)
- Security forces kill top Hizbul Mujahideen commander in Doda - Mar 08, 2010
- Hizbul commander killed in Kashmir gunfight - Apr 03, 2011
- Two separatist guerrillas killed in Kashmir - Oct 12, 2011
- Top Lashkar commander killed in Kashmir - Aug 03, 2012
- Top Hizbul commander killed in Kashmir gunfight - Oct 08, 2011
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir - Nov 27, 2010
- Delhi court blast accused killed in Kishtwar (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Two LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jun 16, 2011
- Two militants killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jun 27, 2011
- Two LeT militants surrender in Kashmir - Aug 22, 2010
- Three LeT militants killed in Kashmir gunbattle (Lead changing dateline) - Jun 03, 2011
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing - Jul 26, 2012
- Four guerrillas killed in Kashmir (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Three militants killed in Kashmir gunfight - Oct 14, 2010
- Two terrorists, soldier killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 21, 2010
Tags: ak rifles, alias, district commander, doda, gun down, hashim khan, himalayan mountaintops, indian troops, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, militants, mohammad shafi, mujahideen, police gun, polling stations, prabhat, search operation, separatist guerrillas, ssp, suitable position