Police foil employees’ march in Srinagar, scores detainedMay 9th, 2012 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 9 (IANS) Police foiled a march by employees in Srinagar even as work in government offices remained paralyzed across the state Wednesday for the second successive day.
Over 4.5 lakh employees of the Jammu and Kashmir government went on a two-day strike Tuesday to press their demands, including enhancement in the retirement age from 58 to 60.
Thousands of employees took out marches from different points of uptown city Wednesday afternoon to ‘gherao’ the civil secretariat, the seat of power. However, it was foiled by strong contingents of police and paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers deployed around the secretariat building.
The security forces resorted to repeated baton charges and used coloured water cannons to disperse the employees who continued to re-group.
Scores of employees were arrested after being drenched in the violet-coloured water.
The state government is yet to take a decision on the demands even as a committee headed by the state chief secretary submitted its report to the cabinet sub-committee last month for consideration of the demands.
- Police disperse Kashmir government staff rally (Lead) - Jul 18, 2011
- Protesting employees caned in Srinagar - Apr 06, 2011
- Employees' march foiled in Srinagar, dozens arrested - Jun 16, 2012
- Jammu and Kashmir employees' march foiled - Jun 14, 2012
- Police break up state employees' protest in Srinagar - Apr 17, 2012
- Employees' strike paralyses government offices in Kashmir (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Water canons used on Kashmir employees, 24 held - Jun 13, 2012
- Government employees protest in Srinagar - Apr 10, 2012
- Over a dozen hurt in Srinagar's anti-blasphemy protests - Jun 05, 2010
- Employees' strike affects schools, offices in Kashmir - May 08, 2012
- One killed as protesters, police clash in Ranchi - Sep 03, 2012
- Protests in Srinagar over Facebook posts - Nov 18, 2011
- J-K Government threatens to sack government employees - Apr 12, 2010
- Separatists' strike affects life in Kashmir - Nov 25, 2011
- Separatist strike affects life in Kashmir - Sep 07, 2011
Tags: baton charges, chief secretary, civil secretariat, coloured water, enhancement, government offices, group scores, jammu and kashmir government, kashmir, marches, police force, reserve police, retirement age, secretariat, state chief, state government, wednesday afternoon