Police foil civil organisations” protest against killing of three officials in ManipurMarch 3rd, 2009 - 3:50 pm ICT by ANI
Bishnupur (Manipur), Mar 3 (ANI): Police in Manipur’’s Bishnupur district foiled a protest rally against the killing of three government officials.
Activists of several civil social organisations like United Club’’s Organisation of Bishnupur district, working Committee of Apunba Lup, the apex body of 32 agitating groups and Joint Action Committee (JAC) had organised the protest.
Police dispersed the protesters and later seized public address systems, banners and placards.
“The Manipur Government should appreciate the support and cooperation of general public after the death of the State Government employees. As a Manipur citizen, I am not satisfied the way the Manipur Government is imposing ban on such protests. On the contrary, we want them to support us in the coming days if any such eventualities takes place,” said N. Sarat Singh, president, United Club Organisation..
Despite the police intervention, a few protesters reached the district commissioner’’s office and submitted a memorandum demanding punishment for the guilty.
Violence had erupted in Imphal as police recovered bodies of three government employees in Senapati district on February 16.
The killings were blamed on the National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Isaac-Muivah- NSCN- IM) cadres.
However, the NSCN (I-M) has denied any links with the murder of the government employees. (ANI)
- Unending violence instills fear among Manipuris - Feb 21, 2011
- Manipur protests against killing of three government employees - Feb 26, 2009
- Shutdown hits normal life in Manipur - Aug 30, 2012
- Protest in Manipur against continuance of security forces deployment - Jun 01, 2010
- Naga women's body agitates in Manipur - Feb 09, 2012
- Imphal calm, indefinite curfew still on - Feb 20, 2009
- Tension continues in Manipur - May 07, 2010
- Manipur hit by shortage of essentials, life saving drugs - May 09, 2010
- Protestors stage sit-ins over proposed visit of Naga leader - May 10, 2010
- Shutdown-plagued Manipur votes Saturday - Jan 27, 2012
- Naga people rally for early political solution - Mar 03, 2010
- Manipur party leaders fast unto death in protest against Naga economic blockade - Jun 08, 2010
- Violence in Manipur over ban on rebel Naga leader's visit - May 05, 2010
- Naga students target Manipur Bhavan over Muivah visit - May 07, 2010
- MP seeks to protect Manipur's territorial integrity - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: action committee, apex, apex body, club organisation, district commissioner, government officials, imphal, jac, killings, memorandum, national socialist council of nagaland, nscn, police intervention, protest rally, protesters, public address systems, sarat, social organisations, state government employees, working committee