Police destroys large quantity of opium in BiharMarch 5th, 2009 - 7:48 pm ICT by ANI
Sankhwa (Bihar), Mar 5 (ANI): Police and paramilitary personnel on Thursday destroyed a large quantity of opium in a Maoist infested village here.
Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel and the members of Special Task Force (STF) launched an investigation to ascertain the owner of the field.
Wielding long blades, the personnel destroyed the entire crop.
We got information that there is a huge quantity of opium growing in this field. So a team of STF, and CRPF came to destroy the crop. We found around 10 acres under opium cultivation. The entire village has been vacated. People have left their houses. We are trying to find out the persons behind this opium cultivation, said Jay Prakash Pandit, a police official in Barachatti.
Police suspect Maoist involvement behind the cultivation of opium in the village.
In the past, Maoists have taken to opium farming to raise funds for their movement.
Jharkhand was the first state where opium farming was initiated by the Maoists. Encouraged by the success there; they have adopted similar models in other states as well. (ANI)
- Maoists luring villagers to grow poppy in Bihar - Feb 19, 2012
- Himachal women on mission to uproot cannabis (Feature) - Jul 12, 2011
- No intelligence alert on Maoist attack: R.R. Patil - Mar 28, 2012
- 216 CRPF men killed by Maoists - Mar 14, 2012
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Jharkhand - Sep 27, 2011
- Mass migration from Chhattisgarh villages after shootout - Jul 07, 2012
- Security forces intensify search for Maoists in Bihar forests - Oct 18, 2009
- Maoists destroy village council building in Latehar - Nov 28, 2010
- Maoist bomb kills trooper in Jharkhand - Nov 07, 2010
- Youth arrested with cartridges - Sep 26, 2011
- STF deployed in Rajasthan village - Feb 17, 2011
- Two arrested with 29 sacks of opium - May 21, 2011
- Allegations against force stereotypical: CRPF chief - Jul 02, 2012
- Two CRPF troopers among four held for arms smuggling (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
- Anti-Maoist offensive intensified, 10 rebels killed in Jharkhand - Jun 14, 2010