Police arrest five Maoists in RanchiOctober 29th, 2008 - 10:47 pm ICT by ANI
Ranchi, Oct 29 (ANI): The police has arrested five people allegedly owing allegiance to a Maoist outfit, People’’s Liberation Front of India (PLFI), in Ranchi on Tuesday.
The accused have been charged of trying to get a foothold in the city and establishing a base for their outfit in the city.
The accused have been involved in unlawful activities like extortion, murder, and putting up posters with threat messages across the city, according to the police.
The arrested include, the city area commander of PLFI and his four associates. The police also seized a large numbers of mobile phones and a country made revolver from them.
“We have arrested five members of PLFI including their city area commander Rama. Besides, Mahesh, Dheera, Haria, and Naru have also been arrested,” said M.S. Bhatia, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP), Ranchi.
The outfit had been reportedly active in the city for the past six months.
Police said that such arrests would prevent others from joining the Maoist ranks.
“Such arrests have a good impact, as it prevents other people from venturing into such activities. The arrest marks the end of a case and then a new chapter opens up, we work on that case,” said Bhatia.
The PLFI, earlier known as Jharkhand Liberation Tigers (JLT), has a strong presence in the rural areas of Jharkhand and is also trying to gain a foothold in Chhattisgarh. (ANI)
- Maoist leader arrested in Jharkhand - Jun 09, 2012
- Maoists kill three youths, torch bus in Jharkhand - Jan 31, 2011
- Two women Maoists surrender in Jharkhand - May 19, 2011
- 5 Maoists, including 2 women, arrested in Jharkhand - Apr 15, 2011
- Four Maoists held in Jharkhand - Nov 09, 2011
- Maoists kill four, torch bus, blast CRPF water pump (Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Two Maoists arrested in Jharkhand - Jan 17, 2011
- Three Maoists arrested in Jharkhand - Jan 24, 2011
- New Maoist outfit formed in Jharkhand - Feb 06, 2011
- Five Maoists held in Jharkhand - Jun 08, 2010
- Jharkhand Police arrest three Maoists, five criminals from Gumla district - Oct 01, 2010
- Maoists kill two Maoists in Jharkhand - Dec 16, 2010
- Three Maoist guerrillas arrested in Jharkhand - Dec 28, 2011
- Eight Maoist rebels with weapons arrested in Jharkhand - Jul 19, 2009
- Maoists kill groom, four more (Lead) - May 15, 2011
Tags: extortion, foothold, haria, jlt, large numbers, liberation front, liberation tigers, mahesh, maoist, maoists, mobile phones, naru, new chapter, owing allegiance, police arrest, rama, ranchi, revolver, rural areas, ssp