PM’s trade panel to come up with report to boost agriculture outputJuly 31st, 2010 - 1:56 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 31 (ANI): A sub-committee of the Prime Minister’s Council on Trade and Industry on agriculture held its first meeting here on Friday.
The designated members discussed issues related with the agriculture sector and its enhancement.
The Prime Minister had constituted this committee on ‘Enhancing Agriculture Production and Food Security’ as a constituent body of the Council on Trade and Industry which had its first meeting on May 26 this year.
This sub-committee comprises of present and former captains of Indian corporate world such as Mukesh Ambani, M S Banga, Ashok Ganguli and Jamshed Godrej with Agriculture Secretary P K Basu being the convenor.
Talking to reporters after meeting, Basu said: “This group should decide and give an operational plan rather than a report to the Prime Minister, that if these five to ten steps are taken by the country, not the private sector not the government but by the whole country, then the agriculture sector will certainly witness a growth.”
On the ongoing issues of food crops getting wasted in bulk quantities, Basu said that the need for a storage unit was also discussed not as a core issue, but as a vital entity.He further said that four business tycoons are willing to share their expertise in the agriculture sector to help it to grow.
“They want that we should be benefited from their expertise and experience. What kind of contribution can they make in giving ideas, investment so as to reform the agriculture sector. And everyone agreed that this is the only sector that has been left behind,” he added.
Meanwhile, members of the sub-committee agreed to the fact that private sector alone cannot bring reforms, but the involvement of public sector is equally important.
The panel decided to prepare a draft operational plan by mid of August with discussion amongst them. (ANI)
- US trade chamber seeks India's retail opening - Feb 18, 2011
- Krishna meets top Egyptian leaders - Mar 04, 2012
- South Korea, China, Japan sign food security pact - Apr 16, 2012
- India, Nigeria to boost ties, discuss UN reforms (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Reach out to rural economy: PM - May 26, 2010
- India, Belgium to seal railway cooperation pact - Aug 01, 2012
- Belgium backs India for NSG, hopeful of India-EU trade pact (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Pakistan, Qatar to cooperate in energy, trade - Feb 07, 2012
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- PM sets up committee to discuss Lokpal bill - Mar 08, 2011
- Non-political person must head panel, Hazare tells PM - Apr 08, 2011
- Expert committee under Rangarajan on sugar sector - Jan 27, 2012
- State ministers meet to discuss PDS reforms - Feb 06, 2012
- Financial stability panel takes up Eurozone contingency plan - Jun 14, 2012
- Expert Committee calls for upgrading IFFI to International Standards - Aug 25, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,