PMK joins hands with AIADMK in Tamil NaduMarch 26th, 2009 - 6:51 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Mar 26 (ANI): Breaking off its alliance with the United Progressive Alliance (UPA), the Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) on Thursday joined hands with All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK).
PMK’s General Council met here today to take a formal decision on forming an alliance with Jyalalithaa-led AIADMK. The meeting was attended by all senior leaders, including PMK founder S Ramadoss and his son and Union Health Minister Dr Anbumani.
According to sources, while 2,453 members voted for the alliance with the AIADMK, only 117 voted against it.
The PMK decided to shift its loyalty from the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) after a recent meeting between Union Home Minister P Chidamabaram and Anbumani Ramadoss failed to clear the differences between the two parties.
The signing ceremony is expected to unfold at Jayalalithaa’s Poes Garden residencelater in the evening, sources said.
Jayalalithaa has also invited Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) leader Vaiko and leaders of Communist Party of India -Marxist (CPI-M) and Communist Party of India (CPI), allies of AIADMK, to join for tea this evening.
The PMK would be contesting elections with AIADMK for the third time. The PMK was in the AIADMK-led front in the 2001 assembly polls, which was won by Jayalalithaa. Both the parties were in the BJP-led front in the 1998 Lok Sabha polls. (ANI)
- PMK to formally decide on joining AIADMK - Mar 26, 2009
- Tamil Nadu polls: Allies urge Vaiko to reconsider boycott - Mar 21, 2011
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- Vaiko quits AIADMK alliance over seat sharing disagreement - Mar 20, 2011
- AIADMK releases list of 160 candidates for TN polls - Mar 21, 2011
- Final tally for Tamil Nadu elections - May 14, 2011
- DMK joins hands with PMK for Tamil Nadu assembly polls - Feb 18, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: AIADMK finalises agreement with CPI (M) - Mar 19, 2011
- AIADMK releases candidates list for LS elections - Apr 09, 2009
- AIADMK wins Pudukottai by-election in Tamil Nadu - Jun 15, 2012
- PMK leader Ramadoss' Rajya Sabha dreams go awry - May 15, 2011
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- PMK opts to join hands with Jayalalithaa's AIADMK - Mar 26, 2009
- PMK appeals for support from all parties in Pennagaram bypoll - Jan 10, 2010
- Jayalalithaa sworn-in Tamil Nadu chief minister (Third Lead) - May 16, 2011
Tags: aiadmk, allies, anbumani ramadoss, assembly polls, bjp, breaking off, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, dravida munnetra kazhagam, formal decision, health minister, lok sabha polls, loyalty, progressive alliance, signing ceremony, third time, union home minister, UPA, vaiko