PM writes to Musharraf, Benazir; condemns Karachi blastsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:33 am ICT by admin
At least 139 people were killed, including three police officers, and over 550 were injured late on Thursday night as suspected suicide bombers tried to attack Benazir’s convoy on her return to the country after eight-year self-imposed exile.
Two explosions went off a minute apart shortly after midnight near Karsaz close to the vehicle Bhutto was travelling in, at the head of a procession of hundreds of thousands of the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) supporters who had flooded the streets of Karachi to welcome her.
The attack reportedly bore the hallmarks of al Qaeda and resembled assassination attempts by militants linked to the terrorist network on President Pervez Musharraf and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz in recent years.
A state of high alert has been declared in Karachi.
Schools and colleges will remain closed in the city. A medical emergency has been declared at the Jinnah and the Civil Hospitals here.
Traffic was thin on the roads of Karachi on Friday, as a majority of the people decided to remain indoors. (ANI)
- Benazir terms Karachi blasts as an attack on democracy - Nov 14, 2007
- Benazir was promised she would be PM: Forensic report - Feb 09, 2011
- Non-bailable warrant for Musharraf in Bugti assassination case - Aug 16, 2012
- Danger for Musharraf if proceedings commenced against him in Benazir murder case - Feb 11, 2011
- Pakistan court issues arrest warrant for Musharraf - Feb 13, 2011
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- Pakistani court orders confiscation of Musharraf's assets - Aug 28, 2011
- Pakistan court declares Musharraf 'proclaimed offender' - May 30, 2011
- Musharraf to return home Jan 25 or 27 - Jan 06, 2012
- Head of suspected Karachi bomber found - Nov 14, 2007
- US wants 'credible' probe into Karachi bombings - Nov 14, 2007
- Britain can't arrest Musharraf for lack of treaty, court told - Apr 23, 2011
- Musharraf the 'murderer' of Benazir Bhutto: PPP Secy Gen - Oct 06, 2010
- Indian envoy to Benazir: Terrorism is a common challenge for S. Asia - Nov 14, 2007
- India condemns bombing of Benazir's convoy in Karachi - Nov 14, 2007
Tags: assassination attempts, benazir, bhutto, blasts, condolences, convoy, explosions, extremism, hallmarks, jinnah, karachi, medical emergency, president pervez musharraf, procession, remain closed, self imposed, shaukat aziz, suicide bombers, terrorist network