PM, VP greet nation on Mahavir JayantiApril 6th, 2009 - 2:57 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 6 (ANI): Vice President M. Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh have greeted the nation on the auspicious occasion of Mahavir Jayanti, which will be celebrated tomorrow.
In his message, the Vice President said that the teachings of Bhagwan Mahavir are relevant at all times to emancipate mankind from suffering and to ensure peace and happiness through spiritual excellence
He called upon the people to imbibe the enlightened teachings of Bhagwan Mahavir to usher in peaceful and harmonious society.
In his separate message, Dr. Singh said that Lord Mahavira’s life and philosophy inspire all of us to lead a life of compassion, sacrifice and non-violence.
“His message of peace and non-violence provides hope for mankind and has become even more relevant in today’s world,” Dr. Singh said.
The day celebrates the birth of Mahavira, the last of the 24 Tirthankaras of the Jain community. He was born on the 13th day of the rising moon of Chaitra. On this day, Jain temples are decorated with flags. In the morning, the idol of Mahavira is given a ceremonial bath called the ‘abhishek’. It is then placed in a cradle and carried in a procession. The devotees will make offerings of milk, rice, fruit, incense, lamps and water to the people in procession. (ANI)
- President, PM greet nation on Mahavir Jayanti (Lead) - Apr 15, 2011
- President, Vice President greet nation ahead of Mahavir Jayanti - Apr 15, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Mahavir Jayanti (Lead) - Apr 06, 2009
- PM greets nation on Mahavir Jayanti - Apr 15, 2011
- Vice President greets people on eve of Mahavir Jayanti - Apr 17, 2008
- 'Mahavir Jayanti' being celebrated today - Apr 07, 2009
- PM greets nation on Mahavir Jayanti - Apr 06, 2009
- President, PM greet nation on Mahavir Jayanti (Lead) - Mar 27, 2010
- PM greets nation on Mahavir Jayanti - Mar 27, 2010
- President, vice president greet nation on Buddha Purnima - May 26, 2010
- President, PM greet nation on Buddha Purnima (Lead) - May 26, 2010
- President greets nation on Mahavir Jayanti - Apr 06, 2009
- Maharashtra celebrates Mahavir Jayanti - Apr 05, 2012
- Hindus greet Jains on Mahavir Jayanti - Apr 15, 2011
- President, Vice President, PM greet nation on Ram Navami - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: abhishek, auspicious occasion, chaitra, devotees, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, hamid ansari, harmonious society, incense, jain community, lord mahavira, mahavir jayanti, mankind, manmohan, manmohan singh, peace and happiness, procession, rising moon, spiritual excellence, tirthankaras