PM to meet Myanmar Foreign Minister U Nyan WinJanuary 2nd, 2008 - 10:57 am ICT by admin
New Delhi , Jan 2 (ANI): Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh will meet Myanmar Foreign Minister U Nyan Win here today to explore ways for further strengthening bilateral ties between the two countries.
Later, Win will meet his Indian counterpart External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee to hold talks on wide range of issues, particularly in trade and energy fields.
India is looking to enhance its ties in energy sector with Myanmar , considering the rich gas resources in that country.
During the talks, a multi-modal transport project is expected to be finalised. Besides, India is also looking forward to seek continued cooperation in curbing the activities of North-east insurgents.
Issue of defence cooperation will also be considered during the meeting. The Indian side is expected to press for early restoration of democracy during the talks.
India and Myanmar are likely to finalise the multi-crore Kaladan river project, which will provide much-needed transit access between the north-eastern states and the rest of the country.
The project includes the building of a waterway, roads and developing the Sitwe port linking Myanmar to Mizoram through the Kaladan River . (ANI)
- India-Myanmar transit project to be ready by 2013 - Sep 27, 2011
- Mizoram project to be trade gateway to southeast Asia - Aug 15, 2012
- India, Myanmar to be better connected, have more trade (Fourth Lead) - May 28, 2012
- 'China has no strategy to strangle India' (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- 'China has no strategy to strangle India' - Jul 02, 2012
- Myanmar Foreign Minister U Nyan Win to meet PM - Jan 02, 2008
- Myanmar: India rejects China rivalry, Sittwe port by 2013 - Oct 13, 2011
- India unveils $500 mn for Myanmar, to expand security ties - Oct 14, 2011
- Myanmar Foreign Minister U Nyan Win meets PM - Jan 02, 2008
- India to support democratisation of Myanmar - Jan 24, 2012
- India starts river project in Myanmar - Dec 20, 2010
- Krishna lands in Myanmar capital - Jun 21, 2011
- Myanmar, India agree to realign strategic transit project - Jun 21, 2011
- Krishna leaves for Myanmar, to sign several agreements (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- India pledges Myanmar $10 mn, donates 10 rice silos (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
Tags: bilateral ties, crore, defence cooperation, dr manmohan singh, eastern states, energy fields, energy sector, external affairs minister, finalised, foreign minister, gas resources, indian counterpart, insurgents, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, pranab mukherjee, prime minister, transport project, waterway