PM to discuss Food Security Bill with leadersDecember 7th, 2010 - 5:35 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec 7 (ANI): Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh has convened a meeting of senior ministers today to discuss the recommendations of the National Advisory Council (NAC) on the Food Security Bill.
The meeting would be attended by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, Home Minister P Chidambaram, Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia and the head of PM’s Economic Advisory Council C Rangarajan.
Earlier, the NAC, headed by Sonia Gandhi, had handed over a “concept paper” on the Food Security Bill to Dr. Singh.
Dr. Singh had asked his Economic Advisory Council to go through the document and send its comments by December 20.
In its efforts to help the government fast track the process, the NAC drafted a framework for the Food Security Bill, which was presented before the Council on November 26.
The working group on the bill will carry out “intensive discussion” on the 40-page document on December 10.
The NAC hopes to finalise the draft bill during its next meeting on December 21.
Earlier, Sonia Gandhi had sought improvements in the draft bill cleared by an Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM).
The bill seeks to provide legal right to the poor to get rice or wheat at Rs. three per kilogram.
The 14-member NAC was re-constituted on June 1 and is expected to advise the Government on various programmes. (ANI)
- 2G scam: Congress Core Group says no JPC probe - Dec 07, 2010
- NAC to discuss framework for draft Food Security Bill today - Sep 24, 2010
- NAC to take up Food Security Bill today - Jul 01, 2010
- NAC to take up Food Security Bill on Thursday - Jun 30, 2010
- NAC may finalise suggestions on food security bill today - Jul 14, 2010
- NAC to consider food security proposals today - Aug 30, 2010
- Rights group slams Food Security Bill draft in letter to PM - Aug 02, 2011
- No regard for kids in draft food security bill: Activists - Aug 08, 2011
- NAC to hold another round of discussions on food bill - Sep 24, 2010
- NAC okays Food Security Bill, to be sent to PM - Jun 22, 2011
- National Advisory Council reviews its progress - Jul 06, 2012
- EGoM meeting on food security held - Jul 26, 2010
- Discussion on draft Food Security Bill likely Friday - Apr 23, 2010
- Government reviews food security bill - Feb 29, 2012
- NAC to continue discussions on food security bill - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: agriculture minister, c rangarajan, deputy chairman, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, draft bill, economic advisory council, finance minister, food security, home minister, manmohan, manmohan singh, montek singh ahluwalia, nac, national advisory council, p chidambaram, pranab mukherjee, security bill, sharad pawar, sonia gandhi