PM to address public meeting in Dibrugarh todayApril 7th, 2009 - 11:31 am ICT by ANI
Dibrugarh (Guwahati), Apr 7 (ANI): Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh will address a public meeting in Dibrugarh, about 400 km from Guwahati, today.
According to sources, Dr. Singh, who represents Assam in the Rajya Sabha, will also address a public meeting in Dispur.
The visit is being held a day after at least seven people were killed and 61 others injured in two bomb blasts triggered by suspected ULFA militants in Maligaon area in Guwahati and Dhekiajuli near Tezpur.
Dr. Singh, who was earlier scheduled to address an election rally at Diphu in Karbi Anglong today, postponed his visit due to security reasons.
The decision to postpone the visit came after militant outfit, Karbi Longri N.C.Hills Liberation Front (KLNLF) called for a 36-hour shutdown in the twin hill districts of Karbi Anglong and North Cachar from Monday evening.
The KLNLF, which has been waging an armed battle for “self determination” of the Karbi people, has called for the shutdown in protest of the government’s negative response towards the outfit’s desire to hold talks.
The two districts NC Hills and Karbi Anglong, which constitute the autonomous district parliamentary constituency, will go to polls in the first phase on April 16. (ANI)
- Manmohan Singh to reach Dibrugarh on Tuesday, postpones Diphu visit - Apr 06, 2009
- Assam terror outfit disbands - Dec 14, 2011
- Militant's surrender brings new hope for peace in northeast - Feb 19, 2010
- Karbi militants behind forest officials' abduction: Minister - Mar 05, 2012
- Peace Accord with Black Widow rebel faction soon: Chidambaram - Jan 24, 2012
- Four CRPF personnel killed in Assam encounter - Apr 02, 2011
- Seven abducted from power plant in Assam - Jun 10, 2012
- Centre's efforts to herald new peace in northeast - Mar 01, 2010
- Abducted forest officials still untraced - Mar 04, 2012
- Abducted Assam officials released - Mar 06, 2012
- 4 Kuki militants nabbed with arms in Assam - Sep 13, 2012
- Northeast defies I-Day boycott call - Aug 15, 2011
- Ex-Karbi militant arrested in Assam with arms - Apr 05, 2012
- Three troopers killed in ambush in Assam - Apr 02, 2011
- ULFA firm on April 20 Assam shutdown - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: assam, autonomous district, bomb blasts, c hills, cachar, desire, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, election rally, liberation front, manmohan, manmohan singh, negative response, parliamentary constituency, prime minister, rajya sabha, security reasons, self determination, tezpur, ulfa militants