PM tells OIC to keep its hands off KashmirOctober 29th, 2009 - 1:57 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Oct.29 (ANI): The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, on Thursday, firmly told the Organisation of Islamic Countries (OIC) to keep its hands off Kashmir, adding that it had no locus standi to comment on the region that was essentially an internal matter of India.
Addressing a press conference here at the end of his two-day visit to Jammu and Kashmir, Dr. Singh said that efforts must be made to end violence in the state and to engage all opinion makers, political outfits and other institutions in talks aimed for restoring peace, normalcy and development in the state.
It may be recalled that earlier this month, the 56-nation grouping had met in New York and issued a statement that said that it supported the people of Jammu and Kashmir in the “realisation of their legitimate right of self determination in accordance with relevant UN resolutions and aspirations of Kashmiri people.”
The statement also commented on the human rights situation in Jammu and Kashmir and the death of two women in mysterious circumstances in Shopian recently.
The Indian Government has already given a strong rejoinder, condemning and rejecting the OIC statement.
A government spokesman said: “It is regrettable that the OIC has commented on India’s internal affairs. We condemn and reject this.”
“Inherent in OIC’s statements and actions on the issue of Jammu and Kashmir is a complete inability to understand India’s position,” he added.
It was asserted that Jammu and Kashmir is an integral part of India and “it is our (government’s) firm position that the OIC has no locus standi in matters concerning India’s internal affairs”. (ANI)
- India rejects OIC move to appoint Kashmir envoy - Oct 03, 2009
- India rejects OIC resolution on Kashmir - Jul 01, 2011
- India terms OIC's Kashmir description 'most regrettable' - Jun 22, 2011
- India dismayed at OIC stance on Mumbai attack - May 29, 2009
- India rejects third party mediation on Kashmir (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- India snubs OIC's Kashmir resolution - May 29, 2009
- India asks Pakistan to end illegal occupation of Kashmir - Sep 23, 2010
- India rebuffs OIC comments on Kashmir - Aug 15, 2008
- India rejects Pakistan's Kashmir comments - Sep 17, 2010
- India regrets OIC Kashmir issue comment - Jun 27, 2008
- India warns Pak against interfering in Kashmir - Sep 17, 2010
- Gilani seeks constant OIC support on Kashmir issue - Jan 12, 2011
- Farooq Abdullah asks his brother to toe party line - Nov 04, 2011
- Pakistan reiterates Jammu and Kashmir 'disputed territory' - Jan 07, 2012
- India rejects OIC reference on Kashmir - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: aspirations, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, government spokesman, human rights situation, indian government, internal affairs, internal matter, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, locus standi, manmohan, manmohan singh, mysterious circumstances, normalcy, organisation of islamic countries, rejoinder, self determination, srinagar, two women