PM stresses on citizen awareness in disaster managementNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:51 am ICT by admin
He advised the Authority to develop as a high-level policy-making body capable of providing advice and assistance to states during times of disaster. Singh said it should be an efficient clearing house for relevant information, lead in capacity building at all levels and ensure that disaster management proceeds in an orderly and cost-effective manner.
The objective is to provide focused attention to disaster management, bring to bear the best possible expertise and to generally professionalise the entire gamut of disaster management activities, he added.
The Prime Minister also reviewed preparedness to deal with different types of terrorist attacks.
The Authority took a number of important decisions to enable it to function better. It was decided to associate the Ministers of Agriculture, Finance and Home Affairs as well as the Deputy Chairman of the Planning Commission with future meetings of the Authority.
Immediate relief and response was assigned to the National Executive Committee. Certain categories of disasters need a broader approach and need involvement of other agencies. It was decided to continue to have the existing arrangements under the National Crisis Management Committee for dealing with such crises.
The Vice Chairman Gen (Retd.) N.C. Vij, members- B. Bhattacharjee, Lt Gen (Retd.) Dr. J.R. Bhardwaj, Dr. Mohan Kanda, Prof. N.V.C. Menon, M.S. Reddy,. P. Jyoti Rao, J.K. Sinha, K.M. Singh, National Security Advisor M.K. Narayanan, Principal Secretary to PM T.K.A. Nair and Cabinet Secretary K.M. Chandrasekhar attended the meeting. (ANI)
- India to begin nuclear safety, emergency response drill Friday - Jun 09, 2011
- Strengthen disaster warning mechanism: Home secretary - May 28, 2012
- India to make disaster resilience audit must for industry - Aug 30, 2010
- Mock drill in Gurgaon July 20 to test quake preparedness - Jul 14, 2012
- India faces coordination problem during disasters - Apr 14, 2011
- Panel to identify toxic waste lying in Indian ports - Aug 30, 2010
- Govt. nominates three membes of National Disaster Management Authority - Oct 06, 2010
- Government to lay guidelines for hospital safety (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- Government to lay guidelines for hospital safety - Dec 17, 2011
- Northeast reviews disaster preparedness after quake - Sep 20, 2011
- 'Withdraw public suit on appointment of next army chief' - Apr 11, 2012
- Indians need be more prepared for natural calamities: Experts - Apr 19, 2011
- WHO calls for investment in disaster management - Jun 06, 2012
- CAT insurance could be mandatory: IRDA - Aug 11, 2010
- Private telecom important in disaster management: Pilot - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: agriculture finance, bring to bear, cabinet secretary, centric approach, citizen awareness, deputy chairman, disaster management, jyoti, kanda, national crisis, national executive committee, national security advisor, paradigm shift, preparedness, principal secretary