PM, Sonia visit Assam blast victimsNovember 1st, 2008 - 9:04 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Nov 1 (ANI): Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Chairperson Sonia Gandhi visited the victims of Assam blasts at a hospital in Guwahati on Saturday.
Dr. Singh and Sonia arrived in Guwahati this afternoon and drove straight to the Mahendra Mohan Choudhury Hospital to meet the injured in the serial blasts of October 30.
There was tight security around the hospital.
They will also visit Guwahati Medical College Hospital to know the well being of the injured admitted there.
Later, the Prime Minister will review the security situation in the state at a high level meeting with Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, members of his cabinet and senior officials.
Meanwhile, Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil, who visited the blast sites at Kokrajhar and Barpeta districts of the state, said both the Centre and the state government would ensure that such incidents do not recur.
Twelve high intensity serial blasts rocked Guwahati and some other cities of Assam on Thursday morning, leaving over 70 dead.
The first explosions took place near the Ganeshguri flyover near the high-security capital complex housing the Assembly building, followed by explosions at Paltan Bazar and Fancy Bazar in Guwahati.
Around the same time, bombs also went off in crowded market places of Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon and Barpeta districts in lower Assam.
Indian Mujahideen, a frontal organisation of HUJI and Lashkar - e Toiba - has claimed responsibility for Assam serial blasts. It made the claim in an SMS sent to a local TV channel. (ANI)
- Manmohan Singh to visit blast affected areas of Assam - Nov 01, 2008
- Shivraj Patil visits blast- affected areas in Assam - Oct 31, 2008
- Manmohan Singh to visit Assam today - Nov 01, 2008
- Guwahati students rally against serial blasts - Nov 12, 2008
- Assam blast: VHP calls for 12 hours shutdown today - Nov 01, 2008
- Shivraj Patil assures help to Assam government to punish perpetrators of blasts - Nov 01, 2008
- Shivraj Patil to visit Assam today - Oct 31, 2008
- Police releases sketch of Assam blasts suspect - Nov 04, 2008
- All religion prayer for Assam blasts victims in Kolkata - Oct 31, 2008
- Uneasy calm in Assam after serial blasts - Oct 31, 2008
- Don't spare Assam's Kasab, say victims of 2008 blasts - Oct 29, 2010
- NDFB chief is Assam's 'Kasab', say angry blast victims - May 02, 2010
- A year on, Assam blast victims' families yearn for peace - Oct 28, 2009
- Where is our compensation, kin of Assam blast victims ask PM - Oct 30, 2009
- Assam blasts: PM says government not soft on terrorism - Nov 01, 2008
Tags: assam, chief minister, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, flyover, high intensity, huji, lashkar e toiba, mahendra, manmohan, manmohan singh, medical college hospital, progressive alliance, security capital, security situation, sonia gandhi, sonia visit, tight security, time bombs, union home minister