PM offers apologies for not preventing Mumbai attacks

December 12th, 2008 - 12:03 am ICT by ANI  

Manmohan Singh

New Delhi, Dec. 11 (ANI): Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today accepted lacunae in the security mechanism and apologised for not preventing the terror attacks in Mumbai, which claimed about 200 lives.
“I am conscious of the fact that our system and procedures in dealing with terrorism needs a review. On behalf on our govt I would like to apologise to our people that these dastardly acts could not be prevented,” Manmohan Singh told Lok Sabha here.

Prime Minister added that India has always maintained restraint but the country is not soft on terror and it would take all possible actions to bring culprits to justice.

Singh said, “We have so far acted with utmost restraint but let not our commitment to civilised norms be misconstrued as a sign of weakness. Every perpetrator, organiser and supporter of terror whatever his affiliations or religion or location must pay the price for such cowardly and horrific acts against our people.”

Singh called upon the international community to take stringent action against Pakistan, the epicentre of terrorism.

“We have to galvanise international community into dealing sternly and effectively with the epicentre of terrorism which is located in Pakistan. The infrastructure of terrorism has to be dismantled permanently. This is for the good of entire world community including the well being of the people of Pakistan themselves. Several heads of state and govt have spoken to me in the wake of terrorist attacks in Mumbai. Each one of them has praised India for demonstrating restraint. They agreed that strong action should be taken against those responsible for these acts I conveyed to them that we could not be satisfied with mere assurances. The political will of the international community must be translated into concrete and sustained action on the ground,” Singh added.

Singh further added that actions like United Nations” sanction against members of militant outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba should be continued in sustained manner.
“I am happy that United Nations has taken the step today to put sanctions on 4 individuals of the LeT including Hafiz Muhammad Saeed and on the front organisation under which Lashkar-e-Taiba was operating such as Jamaat-ud-Dawa. This is the kind of purposeful action that we believe should be pursued in a sustained manner by the world community to ensure that the entire infrastructure of terror is dismantled,” Singh said. (ANI)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |

Subscribe