PM condoles passing away of singer Mahendra KapoorSeptember 28th, 2008 - 12:16 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept 28 (ANI): Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh has expressed sorrow over the passing away of playback singer Mahendra Kapoor.
In his condolence message, Dr. Singh said that the death of Mahendra Kapoor is an irreparable loss to millions of his fans.
“He is no more but his songs like “Mere Desh Ki Dharthi” will keep him alive in the heart of every Indian,” he added.
Kapoor, popular Hindi film playback singer, died in Mumbai last night following a cardiac failure. He was 74.
Born in Amrisar in Punjab, Kapoor first came into prominence after he won a singing contest at the All India Youth Festival in the late 1950s.
He also sang some popular numbers of “Gumrah,” “Humraaz” and “Waqt,” which were composed by music director Ravi and picturised on Sunil Dutt during the late 1960s and 1970s.
Kapoor also rendered the most popular number, “Mere desh ki dharti sona ugle” in Manoj Kumar’’s “Upkar” as also “Bharat Ka rahnewala hoon” in “Purab Aur Paschim” and “Ab Ke baras” in “Kranti.”
He also sang the title song of B.R Chopra’’s popular TV serial, “Mahabharat”.
He received the Filmfare Award for his song “Chalo ek baar phir se” in Chopra’’s “Gumrah” in 1963 and also for “Neele gagan ke tale” from “Humraz”. (ANI)
- Playback singer Mahendra Kapoor dies (Lead) - Sep 28, 2008
- Mahendra Kapoor was my voice: Manoj Kumar - Sep 24, 2010
- Gulshan alive in words of 'Mere desh ki dharti': Manoj Kumar - Aug 09, 2009
- Khadi, Gandhi topis at James Ferreira's show - Oct 12, 2011
- 'Mahendra Kapoor disappeared from Bollywood music scene too early' - Sep 28, 2008
- Bollywood songs to add to your patriotic fervour - Aug 14, 2010
- Bollywood's Patriotic Films (To Comemmorate The 63rd Independence Day On August 15, 2010) - Aug 11, 2010
- Sohail Khan stands tall in 'Kisaan' (IANS Film Review - Rating: **1/2) - Aug 30, 2009
- The best of Shammi Kapoor - through his songs! - Aug 14, 2011
- Sohail Khan Plays Manoj Kumar From Upkar In Kissan - Aug 25, 2009
- Legendary Lata not ready to call it quits - Jun 05, 2011
- Hindi movie lyricist Gulshan Bawra passes away - Aug 07, 2009
- Katrina joins star parade with 'Sheila ki jawani' dance - Nov 30, 2010
- Priyanka pays tribute to Rekha at IIFA - Jun 10, 2012
- It’s An Encore Performance For Jackky Bhagnani - Nov 01, 2010
Tags: ab ke baras, cardiac failure, condolence message, desh, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, filmfare award, gagan, humraaz, irreparable loss, kranti, mahabharat, mahendra kapoor, manmohan singh, manoj kumar, playback singer, purab aur paschim, singing contest, ugle, waqt