PM condoles demise of K. SubrahmanyamFebruary 2nd, 2011 - 9:50 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 2 (ANI): The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, has condoled the death of prominent security expert K. Subrahmanyam.
Dr. Singh in his condolence message said: “It was with great sadness that I learnt of the passing away of your father K. Subrahmanyam, who was one of the country’s leading security experts and strategists. Beginning with his work in the Ministry of Defence in the early sixties, Subrahmanyam’s distinguished career in public service spanned many decades as a civil servant who maintained the highest traditions of the bureaucracy through his honesty, dedication and exceptional abilities.”
“He made important and lasting contributions to the evolution of India’s defence, security and foreign policies. His work outside the Government is perhaps even more impressive and he spearheaded and developed the field of defence studies in the country. His long stints as head of the Institute of Defence Studies and Analysis established it as one of the premier think tanks in the field,” he added.
The Prime Minister further said: “Subrahmanyam wrote seminal works on an array of subjects covering our nuclear posture, India-Pakistan relations, intelligence matters, disarmament and issues of regional and global strategic importance. His work as head of the Kargil Review Committee was widely recognized both inside the government and outside it.”
“In the passing away of Subrahmanyam, the country has lost an outstanding public servant, visionary and thinker who will be missed by the generations of bureaucrats, academics and writers who were inspired and influenced by his thoughts. Please accept my deepest condolences on the sad demise of your father. May God give you the strength to bear this irreparable loss,” he added.
One of India’s well known analysts on strategic affairs, K. Subrahmanyam died at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) on Tuesday night. He was 82.
Subrahmanyam, one of the most respected voices in India on global security affairs, was suffering from lung and cardiac problems. He was also suffering from cancer.
At the time of his death, he was the Chairman of the Prime Minister’s Task Force on Global Strategic Developments. (ANI)
- Vice President Ansari condoles demise of K. Subrahmanyam - Feb 02, 2011
- Strategic guru K Subrahmanyam cremated with full honours - Feb 04, 2011
- Strategic guru and thinker K. Subrahmanyam is dead (Third Lead) - Feb 02, 2011
- Strategic guru K.Subrahmanyam is dead (Second Lead) - Feb 02, 2011
- Subrahmanyam was key architect of India's security doctrine: Ansari - Feb 02, 2011
- IDSA invites nomination for Subrahmanyam award - Oct 12, 2011
- India's strategic affairs guru K. Subrahmanyam dead - Feb 02, 2011
- PM condoles death of Deshmukh - Aug 08, 2011
- 'India needs to modernise strategic culture' - Jan 20, 2012
- K. Subrahmanyam: Toasting the Chanakya of our times (Comment) - Feb 04, 2011
- India needs more foreign policy experts: Omprakash Mishra - Aug 12, 2011
- Ties with major powers to help India tackle China: Saran (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- President, Prime Minister condole passing away of Dr. Homi Sethna - Sep 07, 2010
- 'Strong ties with US, Russia key to handle China' - Aug 29, 2012
- PM condoles Rajasthan Governor Shailender Kumar Singh's death - Dec 01, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,