PM condoles death of Justice SarkariaNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:13 am ICT by admin
Recalling that having started his practice in the courts of Patiala in pre-independence India, Justice Sarkaria rose to the highest levels of our judiciary, Singh said that he played a “vital role in the evolution of the Indian Republic and our Constitution.”
“A student of Government College Lahore, Justice Sarkaria was a erudite legal expert who translated our Constitution into Punjabi. He Chaired the Commission that has re-inforced the foundations of our Federal Republic. His wise guidance will forever more be missed by our judiciary and constitutional experts,” Singh added.
“I join the nation in paying homage to the memory of Justice Sarkaria and I convey my heartfelt condolences to his family and his many admirers and disciples,” said the Prime Minister.
Justice Sarkaria, Born on January 16, 1916, practised at Patiala as Pleader and thereafter as Advocate of the Patiala High Court.
He was on the two-member Committee set up by Pepsu Government to translate the Constitution of India into Punjabi.
He headed the committee to study Centre-State relations in 1983 and submitted his report in 1988, which focussed on devolution of powers between the Centre and the states, and on imposition of President’s rule.
He was an Additional Judge of Punjab and Haryana High Court from June 13 to September 26, 1967 and puisne Judge from September 27, 1967 to September 15.
He was appointed as the Judge of the Supreme Court with effect from September 17, 1973, he retired on January 15, 1981. (ANI)
- Advani demands meeting of Inter State Council - Jun 15, 2011
- Fake interpreter turns up at Indian woman's murder trial - Jul 21, 2012
- More accountability for judiciary recommended - Apr 23, 2011
- Apex court spared neither holy cows, nor corrupt in 2011 (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 28, 2011
- Respect judicial independence, Kapadia tells government. - Aug 15, 2012
- Court verdict delay violates constitutional mandate: Jurists - Apr 08, 2012
- Errant judges may not be able to abort impeachment: Rajya Sabha MP's bill - Jul 22, 2012
- Ex-CVC Thomas withdraws plea against successor - Jul 19, 2011
- Judiciary needs 'more accountability', 'restraint' in activism (Lead) - Apr 24, 2011
- Don't corrode judiciary, says apex court - Dec 08, 2011
- Do not encroach upon others' domain, Kapadia cautions judges (Lead) - Nov 26, 2011
- Judiciary must appreciate practical difficulties: Khurshid - Jul 13, 2011
- Apex court to hear Bhushan's plea on contempt of court - Nov 16, 2011
- Gujarat agrees for probe in 'staged' shootout - Apr 20, 2011
- Judges shouldn't shy away from criticism: Kapadia - Oct 19, 2011
Tags: college lahore, committee, condolence message, constitution of india, constitutional experts, constitutional lawyers, erudite, government college, haryana high court, heartfelt condolences, judiciary, justice, patiala, punjab and haryana high court, punjabi, sagacious, state relations, wise guidance