PM chairs meeting of the Energy Coordination CommitteeJune 27th, 2008 - 11:05 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , June 27 (ANI): Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh chaired a meeting of the Energy Coordination Committee to discuss proposals pertaining to the development of solar energy and other sources of renewable energy.
Against the background of rising crude oil prices and the concern about climate change and global warming the Prime Minister underlined the importance of developing renewable energy in India .
The Prime Minister authorized the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy to draft schemes and guidelines for the introduction of Renewable Energy Certificates to encourage states to promote and trade in renewable energy.
The Ministry was also asked to come forward with draft legislation for the promotion and accelerated growth of renewable energy sector.
The Prime Minister said that the Government of India will soon set up a Solar Energy Mission and promote the use of solar lanterns across the country.
Members emphasized the vital importance of replacing kerosene lanterns with solar lanterns both on account of India ’s import dependence on crude oil, the high fiscal subsidy for kerosene and the environmental benefits of solar energy over kerosene.
The Prime Minister asked the Minister of New and Renewable Energy to come forward with a comprehensive action plan for new and renewable energy development in consultation with State Governments.
The meeting also decided that in rural areas grid connectivity should be explored for solar energy and the villages should have access to both conventional and non-conventional sources of energy. (ANI)
- Himachal to give solar lamps at remote villages - Aug 03, 2012
- West Bengal planning new renewable energy policy - Apr 12, 2012
- Government pushes renewable energy, announces sops - Jun 27, 2008
- Tamil Nadu's new solar energy policy to add 3,000 MW - Mar 12, 2012
- Tripura powering green with solar energy - Jun 08, 2010
- India's solar power mission on schedule - Mar 15, 2011
- As China dumps in India's solar market, domestic industry shrivels (Business Feature) - May 06, 2012
- Delhiites can soon sell solar power to distribution companies(June 5 is World Environment Day) - Jun 05, 2011
- Chile envisions integrated Latin American power grid - Jan 14, 2012
- India seeks diaspora investment in energy, healthcare - Jan 07, 2012
- Defence forces should opt conventional energy sources, Pallam Raju - Mar 18, 2010
- Himachal developing solar-powered cities - Aug 20, 2011
- India's largest industrial solar plant operational in Punjab - Jul 29, 2012
- Obama vows to tap new energy sources - Feb 24, 2012
- Assam's village-islands use solar power to break free of darkness (Science Feature) (With Image) - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: benefits of solar energy, conventional and non conventional sources of energy, conventional sources of energy, coordination committee, country members, crude oil prices, dr manmohan singh, draft legislation, energy mission, government of india, import dependence, kerosene lanterns, manmohan singh, non conventional sources of energy, renewable energy certificates, renewable energy development, renewable energy sector, solar lanterns, sources of renewable energy, state governments