PM assures full co-operation to Ramakrishna MissionJanuary 12th, 2011 - 10:33 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 12 (ANI): The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, on Wednesday assured the government’s full support and co-operation to the Ramakrishna Mission in the fulfillment of their noble task of inculcating among children a moral compass and a value system that provides a bulwark against the tide of commercialism and consumerism.
After inaugurating the four year long celebrations to mark the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda here on Wednesday, Dr. Singh said: “Our government has approved in principle a grant of Rs. 100 crores for a “Value Education Project” of the Ramakrishna Mission. I sincerely hope that the project will help to inculcate in our children a moral compass and a value system that provides a bulwark against the tide of commercialism and consumerism that is sweeping our societies.” I fervently hope that Swami Vivekananda’s 150th birth anniversary will be an occasion to expand the activities and good work being done by the Ramakrishna Mission. I can assure the Mission of our government’s full support and co-operation in the fulfillment of the noble mission,” he added.
Dr. Singh said during its first meeting last year, a number of constructive suggestions were made for events and activities to popularize the teachings of Swami Vivekananda during this anniversary year.
“These suggestions include the publication of his complete works, international conferences and seminars on his teachings, establishing chairs in universities, annual lectures, encouraging research in inter-faith dialogue and involving states and local organizations in commemorating Swami Vivekananda’s travels in India,” said Dr. Singh.
“I expect that these ideas would soon be translated in to concrete plans of action, which could be ready for implementation by the year 2013,” he added.
The Prime Minister further said the government has already approved a film on Swami Vivekananda by the Public Service Broadcasting Trust.
“We should make special efforts to commemorate Swami Vivekananda’s Address in Chicago. I understand that there is a plaque placed at the spot in the Art Institute of Chicago where the historic address was delivered and that the City of Chicago has also named the stretch of the Avenue on which the Art Institute of Chicago is located as the Swami Vivekananda way. We are working on a suitable commemorative event in Chicago,” he added.
Celebrations spread over four years will be held across the country during which programmes would be conducted to help the youth connect to Swami Vivekananda’s teachings.
The Ramakrishna Mission, founded by Swami Vivekananda, is planning a series of programmes to commemorate the occasion, including a number of cultural programmes, essay writing competitions for college students and multimedia presentations on Swami Vivekananda’s message to the youth. (ANI)
- PM to launch Swami Vivekananda's 150th birth anniversary celebrations - Jan 12, 2011
- India on World Heritage Committee for 4 years - Nov 11, 2011
- Vivekananda movement grows in Nepal on 148th anniversary - Jan 11, 2011
- Swami Vivekananda's life in 3D animation - Aug 05, 2011
- President, Vice President, PM greet nation on Ram Navami - Apr 12, 2011
- Science merges with art in laser tribute to Vivekananda - Aug 22, 2012
- Vivekananda was a 'Hindu-Leftist': Jaipal Reddy (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Rs.100 crore Vivekananda education project approved - Sep 03, 2010
- Ramakrishna Paramahansa's 175th birth anniversary celebrated - Mar 06, 2011
- Indian CEO spreads message of insurance and Vivekananda in Nepal (Feature) - Feb 18, 2010
- Tripura to mark Vivekananda's 150th birth anniversary - Jan 01, 2012
- Mukherjee to visit Chicago to sell India growth story - Jan 27, 2012
- Pranab visits Belur Math - Jun 24, 2012
- Of legends and stars: Mamata, Hillary discuss Tagore, SRK - May 07, 2012
- Vivekanada only icon for both RSS, Communists: Jaipal Reddy - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: birth anniversary, bulwark, commercialism, complete works, concrete plans, conferences and seminars, constructive suggestions, consumerism, crores, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, education project, first meeting, international conferences, manmohan, manmohan singh, moral compass, ramakrishna mission, swami, value education