Pinki of Oscar winning documentary wishes to be a surgeonFebruary 27th, 2009 - 8:31 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb. 27 (ANI): Pinki Sonkar, the child protagonist of Oscar winning documentary ”Smile Pinky”, has a dream to grow up and be a medical practitioner.
After the operation, she (Pinki) becomes a normal girl, her fate has changed. Now she wants to be a doctor and wants to perform lip-cleft surgery on other patients suffering from cleft lip problem, Pinkis father Rajender Sonkar said, while talking to media.
Megan Mylan’’s short film Smile Pinki, which won the Oscar for the Best Documentary Short Subject, is tale of a six-year-old girl who becomes a social outcast because of a cleft lip.
The 39-minute documentary traces Pinki’’s journey from being ostracized to being surgically treated in a bid to lead a normal life.
Subodh Singh, the noted surgeon, who gave Pinki a smile that ushered her onto the Hollywood’’s red carpet, was optimistic that the film would spread awareness about cleft lip problem in the society.
This will have a great impact and has a far reaching effect because this will bring tremendous amount of awareness all over the world and people will come forward to help ”Smile Train” (a US based NGO) which is helping millions of children all over the world, Dr. Singh said. (ANI)
- Oscar-famed Pinky gets grand welcome - Feb 28, 2009
- American virtuoso teaches violin to cleft-lipped children in Varanasi - May 12, 2010
- Gursharan Kaur hosts a reception for smiling ''Pinky'' - Feb 27, 2009
- 'Smile Pinki' all set to be screened across India - Oct 02, 2009
- Villagers in UP celebrate after ''Smile Pinky'' bagged Oscars - Feb 23, 2009
- Doordarshan to showcase 'Smile Pinki' on Sunday - Nov 10, 2009
- Oscar winner Pinki to be election mascot of National Dalit Front - Mar 07, 2009
- 'Smile Pinki' returns to help children with cleft lips - Sep 26, 2009
- Villagers in UP pray for success of ''Smile Pinky'' at Oscars - Feb 22, 2009
- Oscar for best short documentary goes to India''s ''Smile Pinki'' - Feb 23, 2009
- Oscar could make India's cleft-lipped kids smile - Feb 24, 2009
- Oscar is for thousands of cleft-lipped Pinkis: surgeon - Feb 23, 2009
- Team of Oscar winning 'Smile Pinki' meets PM's wife - Feb 27, 2009
- 'Peepli Live' - will it make it to Oscars? - Dec 13, 2010
- Pinki will become a doctor, promises farmer father - Feb 27, 2009
Tags: cleft lip, cleft surgery, documentary traces, dr singh, fate, hollywood, journey, medical practitioner, mylan, New Delhi, ngo, old girl, pinki, pinky, protagonist, red carpet, short film, short subject, smile train, social outcast