Pilgrims throng Vaishno Devi on New YearJanuary 1st, 2011 - 2:33 pm ICT by ANI
Katra (Jammu and Kashmir), Jan.1 (ANI): Thousands of pilgrims have converged at Katra town on their way to the Vaishno Devi shrine in Jammu and Kashmir.
Vaishno Devi is approached through Katra, which lies 13 kilometers from the shrine, at the base of the hill.
“For the last two hours we are standing in the queue for ticket and I think it will take another two hours but still we are here for Yatra. So, we won’t go without completing the Yatra,” said Ashish Kumar, a pilgrim from New Delhi.
The Additional Chief Executive Officer of Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board, Mandeep Bhandari, said this year number of pilgrims crossed 8.7 million, which is half-a-million more than in 2009.
“On December 30, the figures in front of me are around 86, 61, 000 and the number is slightly to cross 87 lakh this year, closing December 31. If we compare it with last year’s figures, the final figure on December 31 closing was 82, 34,000. So, clearly there is an increase of around 5.5 lakh in the number of Yatries or visitors,” said Bhandari. (ANI)
- Kashmir had record 12 million tourists - Dec 31, 2011
- Heavy rush of pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - May 15, 2012
- Record pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi - Dec 25, 2011
- Over five million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi till June - Jul 04, 2012
- More pilgrims visiting Vaishno Devi compared to last year - Nov 16, 2009
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage resumes after forest fire (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Record 10 million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi shrine (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Vaishno Devi shrine has record 10 million pilgrims - Dec 28, 2011
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage suspended due to forest fire - Jun 23, 2012
- Five killed in Jammu bus accident - Jun 09, 2012
- Now, e-tickets for chopper ride to Vaishno Devi - Apr 29, 2011
- Now, ropeway for pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - Sep 23, 2011
- Vaishno Devi shrine overflows with devotees - Sep 28, 2009
- Tourism can boost Kashmir's economic development: Omar - Dec 31, 2011
- Sreedharan on Vaishno Devi Board - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: ashish kumar, bhandari, chief executive officer, december 31, half a million, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kilometers, mandeep, mata vaishno devi shrine board, New Delhi, new year, pilgrim, pilgrims, queue, vaishno devi shrine, vaishno devi shrine board, yatra