Pietersen very confident of playing tests in IndiaDecember 4th, 2008 - 7:54 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 4 (ANI): England captain Kevin Pietersen believes it is important for England to return to India for their rescheduled two-Test series as a show of support following the terror attacks in Mumbai.
The England team is due to fly to Abu Dhabi today where they will train ahead of the series, which will begin in Chennai on December 11, The Independent reported.
And while Pietersen said a final decision on whether they will fly to Chennai will not be made until security reports are received on Sunday, the paper said.
I think it is important that we go back to India and rub shoulder to shoulder with the Indian people in their time of need. We are happy to show our support, he said.
We are very focused to play some red-ball cricket. We will assess the situation on Sunday but we are very confident of playing a Test match and we are focused on that.
We are buying ourselves more time in Abu Dhabi. It is great that the players who went to India are willing to go back. But, if the security is right we will go as a collective. We are waiting on a security report from Hugh (Morris), Sean (Morris) and Reg (Dickason) who is out there at the moment, he added.
There were some security concerns this morning after local media reports in Chennai quoted the Indian Air Force chief as saying authorities had received warning of a possible airborne attack.
The threat comes as airports were put on high alert following intelligence warnings that terrorists may be planning fresh attacks, The Independent reported.
Pietersen said he would let the people charged with checking security make the final decision on such matters. (ANI)
- England's tour to India will be cleared Sunday (Lead) - Dec 04, 2008
- England fly to Abu Dhabi Thursday en route to India - Dec 04, 2008
- Rain hits England practice at Abu Dhabi - Dec 06, 2008
- ECB gives nod to second cricket Test at Mohali - Dec 10, 2008
- PCB says Englands return to India will be positive for subcontinent - Dec 04, 2008
- Full strength England to arrive in Chennai; Mohali doubtful - Dec 08, 2008
- Pietersen asked to be careful about his tweets - Dec 11, 2010
- KP convinces Freddie, Harmison to undertake India tour - Dec 04, 2008
- English cricketers reluctant to return for Test series - Nov 28, 2008
- Flintoff, Harmison still undecided on touring India - Dec 07, 2008
- ECB security expert arrives in Chennai - Dec 03, 2008
- Mohali Test on, ECB gives green signal (Lead) - Dec 10, 2008
- Aussie players head for India to play in IPL - Mar 03, 2010
- Play IPL at your risk, England, Aussie boards tell players - Feb 21, 2010
- Decision on India tour unanimous: Flintoff - Dec 08, 2008
Tags: abu dhabi, air force chief, airports, chennai, cricket, dickason, england captain, england team, final decision, fresh attacks, indian air force, kevin pietersen, local media, security report, security reports, shoulder to shoulder, terror attacks, test match, test series, time of need