Pictorial warning to be displayed on cigarette tobacco products from May 31May 6th, 2009 - 3:36 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 6 (ANI): The Centre would implement the rules on issuing statutory pictorial warning on cigarette and tobacco products from May 31.
Additional Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium, who appeared for the Union Government gave the undertaking before a bench of Justices B N Agrawal and G S Singhvi on Wednesday.
Earlier, the apex court had sought a response from the Centre on the allegations of an NGO that the government under pressure from the “tobacco lobby” was dragging its feet on issuing statutory pictorial warning on cigarette and tobacco products.
The petitioner contended that thousands of people in the country are succumbing to cancer mostly due to the widespread use of cigarettes and tobacco products.
In its application, the NGO complained that though the government originally brought in the Cigarette and Other Tobacco Products (Packaging and Labelling) Rules in 2006 to making it mandatory for all tobacco products to display statutory pictorial warnings, “it was not implemented so far under pressure from the tobacco lobby”.
Under the 2006 rules, the government had initially planned to display “skull and bones” besides a dead body on the packages and labels to caution people on the adverse effects of smoking and using tobacco products. (ANI)
- Children protest against cigarette sale - May 28, 2011
- Pictorial warnings on tobacco packets deferred to Dec 1 - May 18, 2010
- Skull and cross bones warnings on cigarette packs from May 31 - May 06, 2009
- Present tobacco pictorial warnings unclear: Health ministry - Apr 04, 2011
- Tobacco shops at IGI airport sans health warnings: NGO - Jun 11, 2012
- Deferment of pictorial warnings on tobacco items challenged - Dec 13, 2010
- Health ministry plans plain packaging of tobacco products - Jul 23, 2012
- Picture imperfect: graphic warning on tobacco products from Sunday - May 30, 2009
- Bidi companies violating order on pictorial warnings: study - Jul 20, 2009
- Cigarette packets with pictorial warnings finally hit the market (Lead) - Jul 09, 2009
- Pictorial warnings finally appear on cigarette packets - Jul 09, 2009
- Cancerous mouth pictures on tobacco products from June 1 - Mar 15, 2010
- No sale of tobacco products in plastic pouches from March: Supreme Court - Feb 17, 2011
- No smoking: Gory pictures pull in, shock trade fair visitors - Nov 18, 2010
- What pictorial warnings, ask Delhi tobacco vendors - May 31, 2009
Tags: adverse effects, agrawal, allegations, apex, apex court, bench, cigarette tobacco, cigarettes, gopal, labels, New Delhi, ngo, petitioner, skull and bones, solicitor general, subramanium, tobacco lobby, tobacco products, undertaking, union government