Phone coaching can come handy in weight lossNovember 2nd, 2008 - 5:48 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, November 2 (ANI): Are you aspiring to shed those love handles? Well, then try weight-loss phone coaching.
The researchers at Brigham Young University found that, both men and women, who undertook 11 session of personalized weight-loss phone coaching over a 17-week period, shed an average of seven pounds in contrast to an average of four pounds in un-coached adults.
According to Dr. Larry Tucker, the studys lead author, telephone-based training was a better alternative to reach people than one-to-one sessions and could give people the added advantage in achieving better weight loss results.
Newswise quoted Tucker: People tend to do better when they have a support system and when they have someone they report to each week.
The weight loss coach can help people work through weight loss issues, barriers and problems. Compared to no coaching, phone coaching tends to show a benefit.
However, Dr. Robert Jeffery, director of the Obesity Prevention Center at the University of Minnesota, added that though the phone coaching method was effective yet traditional weight-loss programs showed more results during the same time period.
He said: In a state-of-the-art, face-to-face weight loss intervention, you should be able to get an eight- to 10-kilogram (17.5 to 22 pounds) weight loss in that same time period.
The study has been published in the November/December issue of the American Journal of Health Promotion. (ANI)
- 'Pounds for pounds' scheme encourages obese people to shed flab - Apr 29, 2011
- Post New Year's Day, 7 in 10 Brits claim of plan to lose weight - Jan 02, 2011
- Reach your ideal weight by writing what you eat - Dec 26, 2010
- No risk for weight reducers from high fat diets - Jun 01, 2011
- Diet and exercise 'more effective for weight loss when combined' - Apr 15, 2011
- Diet Programs Do Not Reduce Disease Risk, Study Says - Jan 28, 2011
- Consumer Reports rates 'Jenny Craig' as the best weight-loss program - May 11, 2011
- Diet Programs May Not Enable The Folks To Evade The Risk Of Diseases - Jan 28, 2011
- Don't skip meals to shed weight - Jul 15, 2012
- 'Weight-loss procedures lack standardization and proficiency' - Sep 11, 2012
- Most Aussies failed to lose weight in 2010 due to bad advice - Jan 23, 2011
- Parents can motivate kids into shedding weight - Mar 15, 2012
- Back to square one after dieting? Blame your hormones - Oct 30, 2011
- Indian-origin expert reveals dangers of ballerina body - Feb 24, 2011
- Is crash dieting is the best way to keep weight off? - May 09, 2010
Tags: adults, american journal of health promotion, brigham young, brigham young university, dr larry, dr robert, journal of health promotion, larry tucker, men and women, november 2, obesity prevention, prevention center, same time period, sessions, state of the art, university of minnesota, weight loss coach, weight loss issues, weight loss programs, weight loss results